The Council has decided to offer the opportunity to advertise on its website and intranet to suitable businesses and organisations.
Hackney.gov.uk is visited by over 180,000 people every month. This, combined with the community services delivered through the site, make it a powerful vehicle for local and national organisations to promote themselves to the people of Hackney.
Why do we offer advertising on our website?
- to channel national advertising campaign spend onto Hackney.gov.uk which can then be re-invested in improving the website and the range of services offered through it
- to offer a powerful promotional tool for local businesses and the local economy
- to offer a communication and engagement channel for local public and third sector organisations
We use the Council Advertising Network (CAN) to deliver advertising across our website. The Council Advertising Network is a network of local authorities generating revenue from appropriately sourced advertising across their digital estates.
Advertise on Hackney.gov.uk
If you are looking to place advertisements on our website and would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website advertising policy
As part of the Councils long term goal of reducing costs, we have permitted the use of controlled advertising on our website. Income generated from advertising on the site will be used to subsidise the site's general upkeep and development.
This policy is intended to provide guidelines as to the type of advertising that may be permitted and the technical standards associated with the display of those advertisements.
The placement of advertisements within the site will be coordinated to ensure they do not compromise the prime purpose and functionality of the website.
All advertisements are subject to approval before they are placed on the Council's website. The Council reserves the right to refuse to promote or to remove any individual advertisement, which is considered inappropriate.
All adverts must adhere to the codes of conduct laid down by the Advertising Standards Authority and must not conflict with the Council's aims and priorities. The Advertising Standards Authority's code includes provisions that marketing communications:
- must be legal, decent, honest and truthful
- must not bring advertising into disrepute, in addition must not bring the council into disrepute
- must conform to the code
- must respect the principles of fair competition
Advertising will also be subject to the code of practice on local government publicity and the requirements of the Financial Services Authority
The promotion of any advertisement on the Council's website should not been seen as an official endorsement or recommendation of that advertiser's products or services.
The Council is not responsible for the quality or reliability of the product or services offered within any advertisement. The Council would never knowingly run an advertisement that is misleading, offensive, untrue or fraudulent.
The Council does not accept responsibility for errors, omissions or for any consequences arising when visiting third party websites when following an advertising link.
Most products and services may be promoted on the Council's website, however, some specific categories of products and services are prohibited as defined below.
This list is not comprehensive and may be changed at any time:
- lobby groups
- manufacturers and distributors of alcohol and tobacco products
- manufacturers and distributors of drugs and pharmaceutical products
- manufacturers and distributors of weaponry and related products
- organisations in financial or legal conflict with the Council
- political organisations
Prohibited products and services
- gambling and betting
- high interest / payday loans
- pornography and adult services
- weaponry or violence
Cookies and privacy
Cookies are small anonymous text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. The Council is committed to only using cookies that are either essential (i.e. they are required to make something work) or that help us to make your experience of using the website better. Find out more about which cookies are used on our website.