If you've had a stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA), you can improve your quality of life with our Fit 4 health scheme. Since 2010, participants have reported improved weight loss, blood pressure, blood sugar control, strength, stamina, flexibility, balance and levels of happiness.
We've recently secured funding from the Big Lottery Reaching Communities Fund, so the programme can go from strength to strength over the next 3 years.
About the sessions
The programme lasts 8 weeks and sessions take place at Britannia Leisure Centre or Clissold Leisure Centre. Every session includes a warm up, cardiovascular exercise, light resistance exercises, a cool down and an opportunity to socialise afterwards.
The format is either gym or circuit-based. Additionally, we provide a pedometer programme, encouraging walking and monitoring number of steps.
The sessions aim to help sufferers of a stroke or TIA to reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, fat and feelings of depression and anxiety, and control blood sugar levels, maintain independence in older age and feel good.
Find out how the Fit for Health programme has helped Hackney residents:
- Walter Horton's story [pdf, 178.96Kb]
- Dahlia Douglas's story [pdf, 200.46Kb]
- Abdillahi Said Mohammed's story [pdf, 814.78Kb]
- Andrew Griffith's story [pdf, 1019.75Kb]
- Anthony Chin's story [pdf, 326.24Kb]
- Barbara Anderson's story [pdf, 1.1Mb]
- Boswell Beecher's story [pdf, 344.49Kb]
- John Fitzgerald's story [pdf, 229.59Kb]
- Mervyn Diese's story [pdf, 335.68Kb]
- Victoria Olaku's story [pdf, 1.2Mb]
- Betty Boo Hiela's story [pdf, 1.18Mb]
- 'it has helped my blood sugar and my communication with other people has improved'
- 'it made me get out twice a week'
- 'it helped me [avoid] falling. Enjoyed meeting people similar to me and making friends'
- '[it's helped me] in every way and I do appreciate the instructors for understanding your condition'
- 'my main goals were to bring my blood pressure down and improve my physical structure ie pot belly, slouching, bad posture and general fitness. All goals achieved'
- 'Fit 4 health has been so important to my recovery. Has given me focus and purpose. The improvement in my mood and balance has been invaluable'
- 'I feel healthier and I have better control over my blood sugar. I feel more in control of my weight'
- 'waking up doing more activity, less tired more motivated. Eating less; improved diet'
How to get involved
We are keen to take referrals to the scheme and believe that the programme will help provide specific care to residents who have suffered a stroke or TIA. We particularly welcome interest from health professionals who would like to refer clients to the programme.
If you know of someone who has been affected by stroke and would benefit from the Fit 4 health (EASS) intervention please call us on 020 8356 5285 /4897 or email: Helen.McGinley@Hackney.gov.uk or firstname.lastname@example.org