We'll be closed on Saturday 4 February and 18 March 2017. Apologies for any inconvenience.
We collect, preserve and provide access to records that contribute to Hackney's socio-economic and cultural identity to help everyone understand Hackney's past and present.
We're the official repository for the historic records of the London Borough of Hackney and its predecessors, including minutes and reports. Our reference collections support research into Hackney, Stoke Newington and Shoreditch, providing contextual information about the local area and its residents.
Our collections - 600 years of history
We are always adding to our collections. Our oldest record dates from 1356, whilst our newest are from 2014. All records are connected to the areas of Hackney, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington.
Before you visit
Make sure you get the most from your visit by reading our tips to help plan your day. You'll need to order unique records in advance of your visit.
User support and enquiries
We offer advice on how best to access the vast and complex collections at Hackney Archives. Please contact the team with your questions including as much information as possible. This enquiry service is free of charge, but does not include extensive research.
Before you visit, you can search our catalogue:
- find out how to search the catalogue
- Ancestry (library edition) (access available in Archives search room or Hackney libraries only)
- London Screen Archives includes films from Hackney Archives (search Hackney). Some films are available to view
- the National Archives include some of our archive catalogues
- search our historic images - we have a large collection of photographs available to view in the search room; a sample of which are available to view online. If you can't find the image you are looking for, please contact us
Friends of Hackney Archives
The Friends of Hackney Archives is a membership charity that supports the work of Hackney Archives. They provide practical support when needed, express the views of users to the Council and administer a donations fund to purchase and conserve collections.