Britannia Leisure Centre is located in Shoreditch and boasts a wide range of facilities, including a gym, a swimming pool and 5-a-side football pitches. It's operated by Better, a charitable social enterprise.
We're considering whether it would be possible to build a new leisure centre to replace Britannia - which is coming to the end of its life - and a new secondary school to help meet the demand for school places for local children. This would be funded in part by the sale of housing, which would also be built on the site.
Residents in Hoxton and East Shoreditch have been sent a questionnaire in the post regarding the Britannia Leisure Centre potential development. You can also complete the questionnaire online. You can find out more and ask us any questions you might have at a series of drop-in sessions in December and January.
See dates and times and complete the questionnaire. The consultation runs until 12 February 2017.
- gym/fitness centre
- climbing wall
- sports hall
- teaching pool
- leisure pool with slide and wave machine
- health suite (sauna and steam)
- aromatherapy room
- outdoor tennis
- 5-a-side football
- netball courts
- group exercise studio
- squash courts (4)
- women-only sessions
- facilities for children's parties
- pool hoist
- accessible toilet
- accessible parking
- accessible changing facilities
- activities for people with disabilities
- ramp access
- wheelchair access to poolside facilities
Included in pre-paid membership.
- non-members - adults : £4.80, juniors: £2.85
- pay and play members - adults : £3.45, juniors: £2
- pay and play concession members - adults and children: £1.25
Free swimming in Hackney
If you're a Hackney resident and are under 18, over 60, disabled or a carer, you can swim for free, all year round, at Britannia Leisure Centre, Clissold Leisure Centre and Kings Hall Leisure Centre. Simply visit your nearest leisure centre with proof of age and address and complete a short form. Your membership lasts for one year and you can renew it by completing the form again.
Included in pre-paid membership. You must be a member to use the gym and you'll need to have completed an induction.
- pay and play members: adults - £7.05, juniors - £3.45
- pay and play concession members: adult - £3.45, juniors - £2.45
Included in pre-paid membership.
- non-member: adults - £8.10, juniors - £4.80
- pay and play members: adults - £5.65, juniors - £3.45
- pay and play concession members: adults - £4.05, juniors - £2.40
- non-members: adults - £9.30, junior - £5.60
- pay and play members and pre-paid members: adults - £6.65, juniors - £3.95
- pay and play concession members: adults - £4.70, juniors - £2.80
- pay and play member and pre-paid member - adults - £6.65
- pay and play concession member - adults - £4.70
There are a number of membership options available, including monthly direct debit (pre-paid membership) and pay and play memberships.
Fit 4 Health after-stroke exercise programme
Fit 4 Health is an exercise programme to help sufferers of a stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA), and it's now available at Britannia Leisure Centre. The programme aims to improve clients' weight loss, blood pressure, blood sugar control, strength, stamina, flexibility, balance and happiness.
- find out more about Fit 4 health
Britannia site update
For the latest news, membership options and full details of all prices, please visit Better - Britannia Leisure Centre.