Hackney Archives cares for the archives and local studies collections of the London Borough of Hackney and makes them available to the public for research.
Christmas opening hours
- Wednesday 24 December: 9.30am-4.30pm
- Thursday 25 December: Closed
- Friday 26 December: Closed
- Saturday 27 December: Closed
- Sunday 28 December: Closed as usual
- Monday 29 December: Closed as usual
- Tuesday 30 December: 10am-4.30pm
- Wednesday 31 December: 10am-4.30pm
- Thursday 1 January 2015: Closed
- Friday 2 January 2015: usual opening hours resume
Our collections include:
- official administrative records of the borough council and its predecessors back to 1700
- original records of local organisations and individuals
- a local studies library
If you are researching the history of your house or street, ancestors who lived here, or are doing a local studies project at school, Hackney Archives is the place to start. Anyone can visit Hackney Archives.
Search the catalogue records for the Archive and Local Studies Library collections:Search the catalogue
The National Archives includes some of our archive catalogues.
View a sample of the thousands of images available at Hackney Archives.Search our historic images
We offer a comprehensive research service for records and other information sources held in our collections. Our staff can advise about the records we hold and, for a fee, a researcher can do research on your behalf.
Teachers are welcome to visit the Archives during our regular opening hours. In addition to the main search room, we have a separate room which can accommodate class visits to the Archives of up to 30 pupils, to allow them to look at original records. Find out more about learning resources for teachers.
Our aim at is to develop and preserve a collection which reflects all aspects of life in Hackney. As well as collecting and preserving the formal records of the Council, we also actively seek to collect records from individuals and organisations in the community. Find out more about loans, donations and bequests
The Friends of Hackney Archives offer a means for all who are interested in Hackney history to keep in touch with the growth of the collection. They give practical support when needed, in expressing the views of users to the Council, and administering a donations fund.
Page updated: 15 Dec 2014