Car clubs (car sharing) in Hackney
There two types of car clubs operating in Hackney - round-trip (or station-based) and one-way (or flexible).
Round-trip (or station-based) car clubs
Hackney supports car sharing and car clubs giving residents a safer, cleaner and greener way of accessing cars when they need them, without the hassle and cost of owning one. Our aim is to ensure that every resident is within each access of a bay.
Car club cars are parked on-street in their own designated bay and are spread evenly throughout the borough, making them easily accessible.
Request a bay
We are working to expand the car club network in Hackney. To request a car club bay near you, email MoveGreener@hackney.gov.uk.
How much does it cost?
ZipCar membership costs £59.50 a year and cars start at £6 per hour or £54 per day, including up 60 miles worth of petrol.
City Car Club costs £60 to join per year and you can add your partner for £30. Cars start at £4.95 per hour and mileage is charged at 23p per mile for cars or 29p for vans. If you are an existing member of Zipcar you can join City Car Club for just £1.
Tax, insurance, parking permits, servicing and repairs are included. Some car clubs include the congestion charge in the price; others will bill you for it.
How do I join?
Join City Car Club
How does it work?
Cars and vans are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be booked by the hour, day or as long as you want. The cars and vans are parked in their own designated bays and can be booked for as little as half an hour, a day, or as long as needed. Bays can be booked online or by phone in advance or at the last minute.
Hackney's car club parking bays
One-way (flexible) car clubs
- You don't need to make reservations;
- There is no return point and no fixed return time, so you can take the vehicle on one-way trips;
- You can park the vehicle in any bay - you don't need to use designated bays.
What are the benefits?
Using a car club can:
- Make your life easier as you don't have to organise tax, parking permits, insurance etc.
- Help you save money - if you drive less than 6-8,000 miles per year, giving up your car and switching to a car club saves on average £3,500 a year.
- Reduce your trips by car - evidence shows that users reduce their annual mileage after joining.
- Help you move home or carry heavy shopping.
For more information on responsible car use visit Carplus.
Why is car sharing good for Hackney?
- For every one car club vehicle introduced, 20 private vehicles are taken off the road, making more parking space for everyone.
- Residents and business are less reliant on private vehicles.
- People who cannot afford their own car can have access to vehicles when they need them.
Page updated: 8 Apr 2015