Car clubs (car sharing) in Hackney
Hackney supports car sharing and car clubs giving residents a safer, cleaner and greener way of accessing cars when they need them, without the hassle and cost of owning one. Our aim is to ensure that every resident is within each access of a bay.
Car club cars are parked on-street in their own designated bay and are spread evenly throughout the borough, making them easily accessible.
We are working with operators to expand the car club network in Hackney wherever possible. To request a car club bay near you, email MoveGreener@hackney.gov.uk.
What does it cost?
Zipcar membership costs £59.50 a year and cars start at £5 per hour, including 40 miles worth of petrol free.
City Car Club costs £60 to join per year and a partner can be added for £30. Cars start at £4.95 per hour and mileage is charged at 23p per mile for cars and 29p for vans. Also, if you are an existing member of another car club you can join City Car Club for just £1.
Tax, insurance, parking permits, servicing or repairs are included in the cost, but congestion charging is not.
How do I join?
Join City Car Club
How does it work?
The car club cars and vans are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be booked by the hour, day or as long as you want. The cars and vans are parked in their own designated bays and can be booked for as little as half an hour, a day, or as long as needed. The car club bays can be booked online or by phone in advance or at the last minute.
Hackney's car club parking bays
What are the benefits?
Using a car club can:
- Make your life easier as you don't have to organise tax, parking permits insurance etc as the car club company pay for this. all the convenience of a car without the stress of owning one
- Help you save money. If you drive less than 6-8,000 miles per year, giving up your car and switching to a car club saves on average £3,500 a year.
- Reduce your trips by car Evidence shows that users reduce their annual mileage after joining, switching to trips by cycling, walking and public transport.
- Be helpful when carrying heavy equipment. If you don't have a car, using a car club can be helpful when you are moving home or carrying heavy shopping.
For more information on responsible car use visit Carplus.
Why is car sharing good for Hackney?
- To relieve parking pressures within the borough: for every one car club vehicle introduced, 20 private vehicles are taken off the road.
- To reduce the reliance on private motor vehicles by residents and businesses
- To give people who cannot afford their own car access to a vehicle when they need it.
Page updated: 28 Nov 2014