Car clubs (car sharing) in Hackney
Car sharing and car clubs provide you with a safer, cleaner and greener way of using a car when you need one, without the cost or hassle of owning one. We're aiming to ensure that every resident has a bay within easy access. You can find car club cars parked on-street in their own designated bays, spread evenly throughout Hackney.
There are two types of car clubs in Hackney - round-trip (or station-based) and one-way (or flexible).
Round-trip (or station-based) car clubs
How much does it cost?
ZipCar membership costs £59.50 a year and cars start at £6 per hour or £54 per day, including up 60 miles worth of petrol.
City Car Club costs £60 per year and you can add your partner for £30. Cars start at £4.95 per hour and mileage is 23p per mile for cars and 29p for vans. If you're an existing member of Zipcar you can join City Car Club for just £1.
Tax, insurance, parking permits, servicing and repairs are included. Some car clubs include the congestion charge in the price; others will bill you for it.
How do I join?
- 0113 394 3999
- 0333 240 9000
How does it work?
You can use the cars and vans twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week and they can be booked by the hour, by the day or for as long as you want. You can booked a bay online or by phone, in advance or at the last minute.
Request a bay
We're working to expand the car club network in Hackney. Email email@example.com to request a bay near you.
Hackney's car club parking bays
One-way (flexible) car clubs
- You don't need to make a reservation.
- There's no return point and no fixed return time, so you can take the vehicle on one-way trips.
- You can park the vehicle in any bay - you don't need to use designated bays.
What are the benefits?
Using a car club can:
- Make your life easier as you don't have to organise tax, parking permits, insurance etc.
- Help you save money - if you drive less than 6-8,000 miles per year, giving up your car and switching to a car club saves on average £3,500 a year.
- Reduce your trips by car - evidence shows that users reduce their annual mileage after joining.
- Help you move home or carry heavy shopping.
For more information on responsible car use visit Carplus.
Why is car sharing good for Hackney?
- Our residents and businesses use fewer private vehicles.
- It provides access to vehicles for people who can't afford their own.
- For every one car club vehicle introduced, 20 private vehicles are taken off the road, making more parking space for everyone.
Page updated: 28 May 2015