Hackney One Carnival Sunday 13 September 2015
The Hackney One Carnival is an exuberant celebration of local creativity and diversity. Join us as local communities reclaim the streets for a day of music, dance and amazing costumes.
12 noon-3.10pm: Live entertainment in Hackney Town Hall Square
Enjoy the best of Hackney's young musicians live on stage, while we wait for the carnival procession to arrive. The stage is programmed by the Hackney Music Service in partnership with Rising Tide.
2-5pm: Carnival procession
24 carnival groups will bring 750 performers to the streets. Spot the traditional and contemporary carnival arts of Africa, Bolivia, Brazil, Caribbean, Ireland and the UK. Judging takes place in Mare Street between 3.10pm-4.30pm.
2pm - Leaves Ridley Road
3.10pm - Hackney Town Hall
4.30pm - Dalston Lane
5pm - Ends in Ridley Road
Letters and route map
- Carnival route map and events flyer (PDF, 580KB)
- Schedule of road closures (PDF, 62KB)
- Letter to businesses (PDF, 21KB)
- Letter to residents (PDF, 21KB)
5-8pm: Ridley Road music zones and finale event
Explore the finale event, featuring three music zones and stalls selling crafts and food from around the world.
- Solution Sounds will be located on the corner of Ridley Road and Colvestone Crescent. Expect laid-back roots reggae and dub music.
- Local radio station, NTS Radio can be found at the centre of Ridley Road playing an eclectic range of music.
- DGO Ranks and Sarge Singh will be on the corner of St Mark's Rise and Ridley Road. Local DJ Sarge Singh is a regular stall holder at Ridley Road market.
An alternative experience for families
12-6pm: Children's area in Gillett Square
If you need a retreat from the bustling energy of the carnival, come and relax in Gillett Square where you and your kids can play in the square's award-winning snug and on the outdoor play equipment, table tennis tables and giant chess set. A lovers' rock reggae sound system will add to the atmosphere and refreshments will be available from the cafes in the square.
Do you live or run a business on the Hackney One Carnival procession route? If you do, can the front of your house or business rise to the challenge?
All you need to do is decorate your property and help brighten up the procession route on Sunday 13 September 2015. You could be a winner and join us at our special awards evening later in the year.
If you would like to volunteer at the Carnival and play an active part in making the carnival a success, please contact Pax Nindi on 07810 874 276.
Photos from Hackney One Carnival 2014
Page updated: 14 Aug 2015