Equality and diversity
Hackney is a diverse, global borough. The Council welcomes and celebrates the richness that this diversity brings.
Providing equality of opportunity and improving life chances remains at the heart of what we do. We are committed to finding innovative solutions so that we can keep providing excellent services and encourage social cohesion.
Hackney is one of London's most popular places to live, work and do business. We are committed to harnessing these new opportunities to help bridge the gap between the borough's new prosperity and long standing deprivation, making sure everyone benefits.
- has been externally assessed as excellent on the Equality Framework for Local Government. The assessment was based on our our self assessment (PDF, 1MB) and the case studies report (PDF, 2.3MB). Download the findings from the Local Government Association's assessment (PDF, 212KB).
- has been awarded Two Ticks by JobCentre Plus. This is awarded to employers who have made commitments to employ, keep and develop disabled staff.
- is part of Stonewall's Diversity Champion Programme, which promotes the rights of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people in the workplace and in service provision. In 2014 we were ranked 66th in the top 100 organisations in Stonewall's annual Workplace Equality Index.
Equality and cohesion policy
Hackney's equality and cohesion policy (Word, 214KB) explains what we mean by equality, diversity and cohesion and the main strategies which are in place to advance equality and promote cohesion. These are:
Under the Public Sector Equality Duty public organisations have to publish equality objectives at least every three years. Our equality objectives for 2012-16 are:
- Deliver actions which aim to narrow the gap in outcomes between certain disadvantaged groups and the wider community.
- Improve the way we listen to our residents and respond to service users' feedback to improve services.
- Foster good relations by building a strong sense of community, neighbourliness and pride.
Single equality scheme
Hackney's single equality scheme 2013-16 (Word, 452KB) sets out the action which the Council will take to meet our equality objectives and promote cohesion.
Knowing our communities gives information about the history of Hackney's communities as well as the diversity of its residents today.
Equality impact assessments
We take equality into account when making decisions. In most cases, reports for major decisions will include an equality impact assessment.
Equality information collection
We regularly collect equality information from members of the public to ensure that our services reach all those who need them.
Knowing our workforce
Knowing our workforce details information about the Council's staff.
The Equality Act 2010
A summary of the Equality Act 2010.
Page updated: 5 Jun 2014