Clapton Library was refurbished and reopened in 2011.
The renovation project marks the next chapter for the Edwardian neo-classical building, which first opened on 17 January 1914, just before the start of World War One.
The new extension provides more space and comfort, better access and improved facilities including:
private study area
quiet reading areas with hot drinks available.
Free wireless internet is available.
The study area has 15 computers for public use with free internet access and many online learning resources. Book a computer.
There is also a dedicated area for teenagers. The previous library's stock of books has been enhanced to offer a greater range of books, CDs and DVDs.
The library is now fully equipped with self-service technology, which gives customers the option to issue and return books, CDs and DVDs themselves. A traditional counter is available for those who prefer it.
Sustainability has been at the heart of the refurbishment. Energy efficient features include:
- rain water harvesting
- solar water heating
- solar powered ventilation
- energy efficient lighting and heating systems
- better use of daylight
- re-use of existing structures.
Page updated: 10 Oct 2014