Hackney Central Library
Apply for membership
Membership is free and anyone can join - you do not have to be a Hackney resident.Apply now
Once you have applied, go to any of our library branches with your confirmation number and ID to activate your membership. You can also join in person at any of our library branches.
What can I find at the library?
As well as adult fiction and non-fiction books the library offers:
- Large print books and talking books
- Children's library service
- Foreign language books and audio-visual material
- Parents' and carers' collection
- DVDs, videos and music CDs
- Language courses
- Music scores
- Self-service machines
- Online information resources
- Free computer access and basic computer coaching
- Free Wi-Fi for library members
- Printing facilities, photocopier and scanner
- Reading area
- Study area
- The Health Spot, which provides high quality books, information and activities to promote health and wellbeing
- Exhibition space
- Teen Zone
You need your library card number and PIN to access the booking system. If you need a new library card or have forgotten your PIN, visit one of our libraries.Book a computer
You can also book by phone or in person, by using the booking kiosk in the library.
Please note: the public computers and study space will be unavailable from 2pm until 8pm on Thursday, 17 September.
How long can I access a computer for?
Adult: 1 hour, child: 30 mins. Additional time is available on request.
New to computers and the internet?
Basic familiarisation sessions are available. Advance booking is required, please ask staff.
What is the cost for printing and scanning?
Black and white = 10p, colour = 50p
What's on at Hackney Central Library
- Wheelchair access
Page updated: 28 Sep 2015