Our libraries offer a wide range of free services for everyone. Library members can:
- borrow books, talking books, DVDs, CDs and language courses
- book and use a computer at any Hackney library for free
- access free Wi-Fi
- check your library account and renew your items online
- download e-books, audiobooks and magazines free of charge
- use your library card to search and reserve items from our online catalogue
- gain access to books, information and activities that promote health and wellbeing
Please note: the library catalogue will be unavailable 10pm Saturday 3 October-10am Sunday 4 October.
Apply for library membership
Membership is free and anyone can join - you do not have to be a Hackney resident.Apply now
Once you have applied, go to any of our library branches with your confirmation number and ID to activate your membership. You can also join in person at any of our library branches.
If you can't get to your local library due to temporary or permanent illness, frailty or special needs, our community library service can deliver library material to your home every four weeks or deposit collections of books to nurseries, day centres and residential units on a weekly basis for free.
As a member of Hackney libraries you can access for free a variety of online information resources including the Encyclopaedia Britannica, the Oxford English Dictionary, Which? Online, Ancestry.com (library edition) and the UK Citizenship and Driving Theory Tests.
You need your library card number and PIN to access the booking system. If you need a new library card or have forgotten your PIN, visit one of our libraries.Book a computer
You can also book by phone or in person, by using the booking kiosk in the library.
How long can I access a computer for?
Adult: 1 hour, child: 30 mins. Additional time is available on request.
New to computers and the internet?
Basic familiarisation sessions are available. Advance booking is required, please ask staff.
What is the cost for printing and scanning?
Black and white = 10p, colour = 50p
Rooms for hire for meetings and events
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all booking enquiries.
Meeting room. Capacity: 25 standing (without tables), 15 seated (with tables)
- Meeting/education room. Capacity: 35 standing (without tables) or 20 seated (with tables)
- Outreach room. Capacity: 75 without table or 50 with tables
- Meeting space. Capacity: 25 seated or 35 standing
- Small meeting room. Capacity: 12. If the room is partitioned, 4 per room
- ICT suite. Capacity: 11 (10 + 1 Trainer)
- Hall. Capacity: 60 seated or 80 standing
Page updated: 2 Oct 2015