Out libraries offer a wide range of free services for everyone. Library members can:
- borrow books, talking books, DVDs, CDs and language courses
- book and use a computer at any Hackney library for free
- access free Wi-Fi
- check your library account and renew your items online
- download e-books, audiobooks and magazines free of charge
- use your library card to search and reserve items from our online catalogue
- gain access to books, information and activities that promote health and wellbeing
Apply for membership
Membership is free and anyone can join - you do not have to be a Hackney resident.Apply now
Once you have applied, go to any of our library branches with your confirmation number and ID to activate your membership. You can also join in person at any of our library branches.
Community library service
If you can't get to your local library due to temporary or permanent illness, frailty or special needs, our community library service can deliver library material to your home every four weeks or deposit collections of books to nurseries, day centres and residential units on a weekly basis for free.
Online information resources
As a member of Hackney libraries you can access for free a variety of online information resources including the Encyclopaedia Britannica, the Oxford English Dictionary, Which? Online, Ancestry.com (library edition) and the UK Citizenship and Driving Theory Tests
Page updated: 28 Aug 2015