The Clapton Square conservation area was designated in 1969 and extended in 1991 and 2000.
It is dominated by St. John's Church, built in 1792-97, and St John's Gardens, together with terraces of listed buildings on Clapton Square which is protected by Act of Parliament as a London Square. Sutton Place also contains well preserved listed buildings dating from the late eighteenth century in the south side, with pairs of early mid-nineteenth century houses to the north.
A historical view of Lower Clapton Road, showing the grade II listed Public Baths to the centre of the picture, 1894-7.
- Clapton Square conservation area map [pdf, 1.79Mb]
- Clapton Square conservation area appraisal 1 [pdf, 5.12Mb]
- Clapton Square conservation area appraisal 2 [pdf, 2.54Mb]
- shopfront design guide [pdf, 1.21Mb]