Read our customer service strategy which explains our drive to improve our customer services, while reducing what it costs to provide them. You can also read our customer service charter which explains what you can expect when you contact us.
Changes to phone lines' opening hours
Opening hours of the Hackney Contact Centre from 4 March will be Monday - Friday: 8-5pm, Saturday: closed. Hackney Service Centre remains open - 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
In an emergency, Hackney residents can phone: 0208 356 3000
Changes to cashiers service
You can no longer use the payment counters in Hackney's cashiers office, at 2 Hillman Street, to pay by cash or cheque for Council services. Instead you can pay by cash or debit / credit card using one of our self-service machines.
- general enquiries: 020 8356 3000
- council tax: 020 8356 3154
- benefits: 020 8356 3399
- housing neighbourhood contact centre: 020 8356 3330
- housing repairs and maintenance: 020 8356 3691
- general enquiries: email@example.com
- housing repairs and maintenance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- housing neighbourhood contact centre: email@example.com
Freedom of information (FOI) requests
Feedback and complaints
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
London E8 1DY
How to find us
- you can use our find my nearest tool to find council offices and services near to you
- download our council offices map [pdf, 1.14Mb]
A-Z of services
Search the A to Z of services for specific contact details and information.
Direct numbers and emails for popular services
- abandoned vehicles: 020 8356 7245 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- bulky waste collection and recycling: 020 8356 6688 / email@example.com
- environmental enforcement: / 020 8356 4810 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- environmental health: 020 8356 4911 / email@example.com
- housing advice: 020 8356 2929
- noise pollution: 020 8356 4455 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- payments: 020 8356 5050
- parking payments / enquiries: 020 8356 8877 / email@example.com
- planning duty desk: 020 8356 8062 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- street lighting: 020 8356 2897 / email@example.com
- switchboard: 020 8356 5000 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- trading standards: 020 8356 4929 / email@example.com
Business contact details
If you would like to contact the Council about business-related issues, such as commercial waste, parking, business rates, licensing, etc. - please use the following email addresses:
- general business enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- business rates enquiries only: email@example.com
Feedback about the website
You can send feedback about the website to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our ambition over the next 3 years is to continue improving our customer services while reducing what it costs to provide them.
Our strategy to achieve this is based on 2 principles:
- getting it right first time - whether that be in person, over the phone or online. Not only does this mean less frustration for you, avoiding unnecessary contact saves staff time and the Council money.
- more services available at more times - this could be through smarter use of buildings, better working with partner organisations or increasing what's available online. As well as being easier and more convenient for people, online services can be accessed 24/7
Our charter explains what customers can expect when they make contact with us:
- we will be helpful, compassionate and responsive to customer needs, always aiming to get it right the rest time
- if things go wrong we will listen, take responsibility and put it right
- common sense and discretion over bureaucracy and process
- we will consult and use our customer feedback to improve services
- we will use plain English in all our correspondence and offer a translation service when required
- we will support customers to access services online and ensure help is available for those who cannot use the internet
- our customer service staff are accountable, and will give their name and wear identification badges
Nominate our staff for a WOW! Award
Have you been 'WOW'ed by our customer service? If you've received a great service from one of our staff members, either on the phone, or face-to-face, you can nominate them for a WOW! Award.
You can follow us for updates on:
- Facebook - Hackney Council
- Twitter - @hackneycouncil
- Instagram - @hackneycouncil
- YouTube - Hackney Council
And you can see photographs of Council events at Flickr - Hackney Council.