Tell us what you think about our site...

Registering to vote and adding your name to the electoral register

Not everyone is entitled to register to vote. You must qualify by age, residence and nationality. Check if you're entitled to vote.

To add your name to the electoral register, complete and return the voter registration form (Word, 60KB).

Contact us if you would like a form sent out by post or in large print, Braille or other languages.

When you should register

  • every year during the annual canvass
  • every time you move 
  • if you change your name eg marriage, divorce.

This may mean you need to register more than once in a year.

What happens next? 

When we receive your application we will process it and send you a letter of acknowledgement. There is a five day objection period where an elector can object to your name being added to the register. If this happens we will inform you. Provided that there is no objection, your name will be added to the register from the next effective date and you will be able to vote.

The electoral register 

There are two versions of the electoral register - the full register and the edited register. 

The full register 

The full register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. You can view it at any of the following venues. No appointment is required.

Hackney Archives
Dalston CLR James Library and Hackney Archives
Dalston Square
E8 3BQ
Viewing times: Tues to Thurs 9.30am - 5.30pm, Fri 9.30am - 1pm, Sat 10am - 5pm. Closed Mon & Sun.

Electoral Services
Hackney Town Hall
Mare Street
E8 1EA
Viewing times: Monday - Friday between 9am - 5pm

Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the full register and they can only use it for specified purposes. These include electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit.

The law says who can have a copy of the full register and what they can use it for. The full list of such persons and purposes is given in the Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2002. It is a criminal offence for them to pass it on to anyone else or to use it for any other purpose. 

The edited register 

The edited register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from the version of the register. It can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they may use it for any purpose. 

You can view it at any library in Hackney. Please note that you will be supervised while viewing and only hand written notes can be taken.

You may not photocopy or scan the full or edited register.

Special category registration forms

The following electors should register using a different registration form:

Declaration of local interest

People who are homeless or guardians of commercial properties

If you have no fixed or permanent address please complete the form below.

If you have no fixed address but are residing as a guardian of a commercial property, please complete the Homeless person registration form (PDF, 241KB).  

Voluntary mental health patients

If you are receiving mental health care on a voluntary basis at a hospital, please complete the form below.

Remand prisoners

If you are being held on remand, please complete the form below.

Service voters (HM Armed Forces)

If you are based overseas, you can register as a service voter at a UK address while you are away from home or posted abroad. You can also register as a service voter if you live in the UK but may be posted elsewhere at short notice or if you are the spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces. You must renew your registration every three years, but you can cancel it at any time. You will receive a reminder letter three months before you need to renew your registration. If you change your address, you must inform us or you will not receive your reminder.

If you are based in the UK, you can also register in the normal way by filling in the voter registration form delivered to your home between August and November during our annual canvass.

Outside of this period you have to register by completing the Voter registration form (Word, 58KB).

Crown servants or British council employees

If you are working outside the UK as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council, you can still register to vote by completing the form below. You can also register this way if you are the spouse or civil partner of a Crown Servant or British Council employee and you are accompanying them during their employment abroad. You will be registered at the address where you would be living if you were in the UK, or at your last registered address.

Overseas electors (British citizens living overseas)

If you are a British citizen living overseas, or a British national who will be living out of the country for a period of more than six months please complete the form below. To qualify as an overseas elector, you must have been registered at an address within the borough within the past 15 years. The declaration needs to be attested by a British citizen (non family related to the applicant) who is also living outside of the UK.

Once an application has been approved, it must be renewed every year, but can be cancelled at any time. We will send you a reminder about this.

Anonymous voters

There is a strict criteria for anonymous registration and you will have to provide evidence such as a relevant order under the Family Law Act 1996 or the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. If you don't have an order you can apply using an attestation that has been signed by a qualifying officer of an organisation listed in Section 31J of the Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2006. It cannot be used as an ex-directory system for those who do not want their details published in the Register of Electors.

Back to top

Page updated: 13 Feb 2014 

Share this page

Share |

Contact details

Electoral Registration and Elections Office
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY
Opening Times
Office Hours Mon to Fri: 9am - 5pm. Phone line 020 8356 3232 Mon to Fri: 8am - 8pm. Sat: 9am - 1pm.
Tel:020 8356 3232
Fax:020 8356 4344