We are committed to helping people travel in a more sustainable way and is working to reduce transport related emissions across the borough. Read about our commitment to electric vehicles.
Electric vehicle charging points in Hackney
Report a problem
If you find a charging point is broken or damaged, report the problem by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8356 8023.
The pan London membership scheme - Source London
Electric vehicle drivers do not have to register us directly to use the charging bays. Instead, anyone who is a member of the Source London scheme and holds a valid access tag and cable can use our charging points in accordance with the local parking controls.
Initially members are being charged a flat fee membership which is expected to eventually move to Pay-As-You-Go when membership reaches justifiable numbers.
Any vehicle that is licensed with the DVLA as a pure electric or a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle can join the scheme. This includes motorbikes, cars, vans, trucks and scooters.
Become a member
To become a member and join the Source London scheme visit the Source London scheme website to register (an annual membership fee is payable).
Currently standard parking fees are applicable for the one charging point in our controlled public car park (Britannia Leisure Centre). The rest are free.
The long-term aim for us will be to charge for parking in all EV charging point bays during CPZ hours in order to discourage local car journeys and to encourage turnover of bays. No charges is made for electricity used at the electric vehicle charging points.
Parking controls and time restrictions
All electric vehicle charging bays will be available at all times (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) and where parking charges are in place then controlled parking hours will apply. Maximum stay is currently 4 hours with no return within 2 hours however this is subject to change dependent upon location of the bay.
Hackney has three 50kw rapid electric vehicle chargers: Bentley Road in Dalston; Calvert Avenue in Shoreditch; and Reading Lane in Hackney Central. The location of the chargers can be found on the map above.
To use this rapid charger you will need a ChargePoint Services (CPS) access card. Please visit CPS and complete the application form. The initial registration fee for the rapid charger is £20. After the first year, there is an annual administration fee of £20. Maximum stay period applies.
Fees to use this chargepoint are:
- connection fee per charging session: £1.80 incl. VAT
- usage fee: £0.30p incl. VAT per Kilowatt-hour (KWh)
Resident's parking permit discount
Residents and businesses in Hackney that have electric vehicles can park for free in their own controlled parking zone areas but still need to apply for a free parking permit. The permit is free if you apply online, or £10 if you apply in person or by post. Apply or renew resident parking permit.
Benefits of electric vehicles
The benefits of electric vehicles include:
- a reduction in emissions compared with conventional internal combustion engined vehicles
- electric vehicle (EV) technology addresses concerns relating to energy security and dependency on imported oil
- transport is responsible for 22% of CO2 emissions in London of which road transport modes comprise 81% of this total. If electric vehicles are powered by renewably sourced/green tariff electricity then electric vehicles will help combat climate change
- electric vehicles are significantly quieter for city driving as there is minimal engine and transmission noise. This is particular the case where they replace stop-starting diesels and at night when ambient noise levels are lower
For more information please contact Streetscene on 020 8356 8023 or email email@example.com.