The Theatre and Holywell Priory
The Theatre is to the left.
Acted at THE THEATRE
Built by James Burbage.
Plays by Shakespeare were performed here.
(86-90 Curtain Road)
There is also an English Heritage plaque commemorating the Theatre:
PRIORY of St John the Baptist, Holywell, and the THEATRE.
The site of this building forms part of what was once the precinct of the Priory of St John the Baptist, Holywell.
Within a few yards stood from 1577 to 1598 the first London building specially devoted to the performance of plays and known as 'The Theatre'.
86-88 Curtain Road, EC2
Page updated: 15 Jun 2010