The service is for applicants who have applied online for permanent residence or qualified person status and require a certified copy of a passport to be sent to the UK Border Agency (UKBA).
It ensures that:
- the current passport of European Economic Area (EEA) applicants who have applied online for permanent residence or qualified person status are copied, certified and forwarded to the Home Office by Royal Mail special delivery.
When is the European passport checking service offered?
A walk in service is offered at the Hackney Registration Service, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, Hackney, E8 1DY:
- Monday 9 to 11.30am
- Tuesday 9 to 11.30am
- Wednesday 10.10 to 11.30am - please note the service will not be available on Wednesday 15 March 2017
- Friday 9 to 11.30am
Please note: waiting times may vary due to demand for this service.
Each walk in service can accommodate 12 applicants. Please note: should we reach our maximum capacity it may not be possible to offer this service to additional applicants on the day.
What is the cost of the service?
The cost of the service is £15, plus the postage fee of all documentation sent to the UKBA by Royal Mail special delivery.
How do I apply for permanent residence or qualified person status?
1. Make an application
2. Within 5 days from the date of submitting an online application use the Hackney European passport return service during the walk in times listed above.
3. When using the service applicants should bring:
- a printed copy of your submitted online application
- a completed document checklist
- the current passport used to apply for permanent residence or qualified person status. This will be copied and certified. The original passport will be returned to you
If I use the service will my application be successful?
We do not check application forms or supporting documentation for permanent residence or qualified person status. Using the service does not guarantee that your application will be successful.