If you believe that a restaurant, shop, or other business is supplying food which is unsafe or harmful to human health or is not following food hygiene standards, you should contact us so we can investigate it. We will get back to you and let you know what you should do next.
We can investigate:
- food poisoning or contaminated food
- unlabelled ingredients
- food containing foreign bodies like insects, metal, glass
- mouldy food
- out-of-date food
- poor hygiene standards
- food quality like sour milk, over-ripe fruit and vegetables
- false descriptions and inappropriate labelling
- food and drink that has been tampered with for example added water, fat
We cannot deal with food bought outside of Hackney. We will pass the complaint on to the relevant local authority.
We do not deal with any claims for compensation or refunds. This is a matter between the complainant and the retailer or manufacturer.
If you have a sample of the food, you should bring it to us once you have contacted us. In the meantime:
- handle it with care and store it well away from other food
- keep it in the fridge or freezer, especially if you think that it has made you ill or it has gone off
- do not disturb any mould or other objects on the food
- keep any packaging and receipts
If you suspect food poisoning, you should consult your GP as soon as possible. You may be asked to complete a questionnaire to try to discover where the illness may have come from and to try to prevent it spreading.
If you suspect a business in Hackney, please inform us so we can investigate. If we find a problem with the business's practices, we can ensure the business improves them, which will help prevent other people suffering from food poisoning.