Changes, cancellations and postponements
- kids' capoeira (5-12yrs) on Wednesdays at Fellows Court has moved to New Kingshold Community Centre (off Well Street), Wednesdays, 4.45pm-5.45pm
- body conditioning for women ages 13+, 6.15pm-7.15pm at Kings Crescent Estate with Vince Murrain is cancelled
- chair based exercise, 2pm-3pm, Geffrye Community Hall moves to Napier Grove Community Hall, N1 7HU from Monday 13 February until further notice
If you'd like to improve your diet, be more active or take up a new hobby, Healthy Hackney can help you.
One You £1 community-based fitness classes
One You community classes is our programme of fitness and 'cook and eat' courses taking place in community centres, churches and libraries across Hackney. It's running alongside the national Public Health England One You campaign to encourage residents to get fitter, eat healthier and feel better.
The classes are just £1 or a donation and are aimed at children and adults. You can just turn up and fill in a brief registration form. See the timetables below for the latest classes and more information contact Henry Muss on 020 8356 6326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ballroom dance - an intermediate class that practices popular ballroom styles including salsa, foxtrot, waltz and rumba
- box-fit - fitness circuits that include boxing pad work
- body conditioning - improve your core strength and tone up
- capoeira - a martial art combining dance, acrobatics and music
- cardio pilates to music - a dynamic pilates class that works lower body, upper body and core to music
- chair-based fitness - seated keep fit for people with mobility issues
- fit to tone - a mix of circuit and core strength activities
- fitness circuits - circuit training that can incorporate free weights and steps
- judo - the traditional martial art that's great for self-defence and fitness
- legs, bums and tums - an all round work out to tone and strengthen
- moving and juicing with Michelle - an hour of aerobic and core workout followed by a juicing session to help get your seven a day
- pilates - strengthens the body evenly, emphasising core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing
- yoga - postures to align your body and mind while improving core strength
- Zumba and Brazilian dance - a fun dance class for all levels
- chair based exercise - 1-2pm, Wednesdays, Whiston GP Practice, Kingsland Road, E2 8AN. Perfect if you have an injury, mobility issues or would like some light exercise
- Brazilian dance and stretch, Thursdays 2-3pm, pilot session: 23 February - 1 April, Turkish Cypriot Cultural Centre, 14a Graham Rd, E8 1BZ
- family Zumba with Tais, Wednesdays, 9.20-10.20am, Fellows Court Community Centre, E2 8LR
- Brazilian dance, Tuesdays, 1.30-2.30pm, Banister House Community Centre, Homerton High St, E9 7PQ
- Uprising - over 55s fitness with Hezron, Mondays, 12 noon-1pm, New Testament Church of God CC, Cricketfield Rd, E5 8 JE
- fitness circuits with Hezron, Fridays, 7-8pm, Concorde Centre, Kingsmead Way, E9 5PP
The fitness classes are open to all Hackney residents. Please complete a registration form or fill one in at your session.
With over 40 classes a week taking place in 20 venues across the borough, there's a venue near you.
One You free cook and eat courses
Want to eat well but feel limited by budget, inspiration or cooking skills? These fun and supportive classes can help inspire you to cook affordable, nutritious food for you or your family. Taking place over six weeks the courses cover a range of techniques and recipes, sessions are aimed at adults and families - bring the kids - and end with a sit down meal you prepare. Courses are free and booking is essential.
They're delivered by local providers including Made in Hackney, Shoreditch Trust and Helping Hackney Health. To find out more, or to book a place on call: 020 8356 6326 or email: email@example.com.
We've just announced our new 6-week free cook and eat courses for winter. We recommend booking - sign up today.
International cuisine for adults
|Lower Clapton||Thursdays, 2 Feb-9 Mar, 6.30-8.30pm and Fridays, 24 Mar-28 Apr, 6.30-8.30pm||Nye Bevan Estate Community Centre, Overbury Street, E5 0AWfirstname.lastname@example.org,|
0208 442 4266
|Family cook and eat course|
Wednesdays, 1 Feb-15 Mar, 4-6pm
|Banister House Estate Community Centre, E9 6BNemail@example.com, |
020 7033 8529
Thursdays, 23 Mar-27 Apr, 4.30-6.30pm
|Nye Bevan Estate Community Centre, Overbury Street, E5 0AWfirstname.lastname@example.org,|
0208 442 4266
|Upper Clapton||Tuesdays, 21 Mar-25 Apr, 4.30-6.30pm||Lea View House, E5 9EJ|
One You free community meals
Weekly food surplus community lunches and dinners that are open to residents. Come along for a delicious freshly cooked meal from food that's been donated rather than wasted. You can also volunteer to help prepare or help set up the meals.
Community lunch from FoodCycle and Outward, 12.45pm
New Kingshold Estate Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Rd, E9 7JE
Community lunch/dinner from Red Moon Roots, lunch 1pm, dinner 6pm
Woodberry Down Estate, Redmond Community Centre, Kayani Avenue, N4 2HF
Wednesday 1 March - lunch
For more information on meals or volunteering opportunities, contact Kristina at Red Moon Roots on 07538 906477, Natasha at Foodcycle/Outward on 07850 517504, or email@example.com.
Sign up to change4life for helpful information, recipes, tools, tips, and games for kids.
Health, exercise and nutrition for the really young (HENRY)
HENRY is a free 8-week healthy lifestyle and parenting programme for parents and carers with 0-5 year olds. Sessions run in venues across Hackney. For more information please tel: 020 7683 409, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hackney Green Gym
Fridays, 10.45am-2pm - meet outside Nye Bevan Lower Community Hall, Overbury Street, E5 0AW
A new and innovative way to get physically active and make a difference to your local environment, run by TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) in partnership with the Council. Green Gym activities take place at The Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve in Hackney. If you're a resident, you can join the programme for free.
Tasks are designed for a variety of fitness levels and emphasise improving mental and physical well being. Contact Ben Harris at email@example.com or 07989 167 831 to find out more or join.
Social prescribing service
Improve your health and wellbeing with our social prescribing service, giving you access to activities, social groups, services and advice, based on your needs and interests. Make an appointment today and speak to a family action wellbeing co-ordinator who works at your local GP surgery in Hackney - ring Family Action on 0207 249 8109.
Health Heroes primary school grants programme
We have been piloting the Health Heroes project in several of the borough's primary schools since 2013/14 and have tested a number of interventions from food growing and gardening, to playground zoning and lunch-time sports activities.
We have launched a new grants programme, where schools can bid for match funding to run projects to help create healthy weight environments within schools by either increasing physical activity, or improving access to and/or knowledge of healthy food.
The first round of grants applications have now closed. Applications will be reviewed and a decision made on successful applications by 11 July 2016 for programmes to commence in the new school year from September 2016.
If you require any additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Hackney Healthy
We've developed two documents as part of our cross-cutting Get Hackney Healthy work, which aims to promote healthy lifestyles for children and families.
The early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance [pdf, 7.37Mb] helps early years settings create environments where children can maintain a healthy weight and provides information on our healthy living and obesity services and advice on how to evaluate any services you commission.
The Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 [pdf, 370.17Kb] provides a vision for working in partnership to reduce childhood obesity and includes national and local data alongside information on healthy weight services available for under 5s across the system.