We need to make the best possible use of existing housing and new homes to help address local housing needs and aspirations, and help build mixed, sustainable communities.
To achieve these goals, our housing strategy has three objectives:
- to support mixed and sustainable communities and provide quality and affordable homes for all income groups
- to create attractive neighbourhoods where people want to live
- to ensure prosperous communities in which everyone the chance to thrive and earn a good living.
To help achieve this during challenging economic circumstances and changes in Government policy, the strategy will be regularly reviewed. A new housing strategy will be informed by the Hackney strategic housing market assessment. Find out more:
- Hackney housing strategy [pdf, 234.03Kb]
- Hackney housing strategy update 2012 [pdf, 283.81Kb]
- Hackney strategic housing market assessment [pdf, 3.91Mb]
- Hackney housing strategy action plan - performance report 2014 [pdf, 89.75Kb]
- Hackney housing strategy action plan - performance report 2013 [pdf, 125.04Kb]
Have your say on our new housing strategy
The Council is consulting on a new housing strategy that will set out our priorities and vision as we work towards everyone in Hackney having a genuinely affordable, good quality and secure home.
It can be difficult to understanding how housing works as there are lots of complex terms set out in law that aren't plain English. See our housing glossary for help.
As required by the Localism Act 2011, we have published a tenancy strategy.
The document sets out what registered providers of social housing in Hackney need to consider when formulating policies relating to:
- the kinds of tenancies they grant
- the circumstances in which they will grant a tenancy of a particular kind
- where they grant tenancies for a certain term:
- the lengths of the terms
- the circumstances in which they will grant a further tenancy if an existing tenancy comes to an end
You can find more details in our tenancy strategy below:
GLA funding for new homes 2015-18 - The Mayor of London's housing covenant programme
Additionally, the Greater London Authority (GLA) has produced a prospectus for investment of £1.25bn to deliver affordable homes in London for the period of 2015-18.
The prospectus detailing the Mayor of London's Housing Covenant programme provides London-wide guidance to registered providers and others, to help inform their bids for GLA funding.
In addition to the prospectus, the Council has agreed guidance for how the programme to deliver affordable homes should work within Hackney. This guidance includes:
- lower rent levels - in agreement with the GLA rent levels should be 'capped' at 50% of lower-level market rents rather than at the average
- new, affordable shared ownership homes to buy will be prioritised for local residents for the first three months of marketing
To learn more, read the joint framework agreement with the GLA below, alongside with a detailed investment guidance for housing providers working in Hackney.