Children and young people scrutiny commission
About the scrutiny commission
The children and young people scrutiny commission focuses on all services provided by Hackney Learning Trust, as well as children's social services and other issues relating to young people in the borough.
Children and young people scrutiny committees are expected to co-opt faith representatives and parent governor representatives, in addition to Councillors on the commission. To fully represent Hackney's demographics, we have also invited co-optees from the Free Church Group of Churches Together in England, and the Orthodox Jewish and Muslim communities, as well as Hackney School Governors Association and the Hackney Youth Parliament.
Commission details (including co-optees):
You can view the children and young people scrutiny commission's full work programme for the year on the agenda for each meeting of the commission.
As well as the in-depth reviews, the commission received briefings on:
- School Admissions (June 2013 and Oct 2012)
- Update from City and Hackney Safeguarding Children Board (July 2012 and January 2014)
- Youth Homelessness: Supported Housing Quality (September 2013)
- Youth Homelessness: Spot Purchased Accomodation (November 2013)
The commission receives regular updates on:
- Children's Social Care Bi-Annual Report to Members (February 2013, September 2013 and February 2014)
- Annual Update on Achievement of Students at Key Stage 2 and 4 (December 2012 and February 2014).
Children's centre advisory visits
Councillors make advisory visits to children's centres in the borough. The visits are intended to strengthen the relationship between children's centres and commission members and broaden their knowledge of this vital service outside of a formal review process.
Three advisory visits have been held so far, to Daubeney Children's Centre, Comberton Children's Centre and Lubavitch Children's Centre. The reports of these visits are available below, as well as the responses from the Learning Trust to queries raised as a result of the visits.
- Report from visit to Lubavitch Children's Centre (March 2012)
- Information requested about Lubavitch Children's Centre
- Report from visit to Daubeney Children's Centre (PDF) (June 2011)
- Information requested about Daubeney Children's Centre (PDF)
- Report from visit to Comberton Children's Centre (PDF) (December 2011)
- Information requested about Comberton Children's Centre (PDF)
Page updated: 19 May 2015