Community safety and social inclusion scrutiny commission
The Commission decided to conduct a review of the range of new powers introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.
The purpose of the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Bill: Measures for tackling ASB review is to understand the legislative changes, policy, and performance of the ASB service and to gain an understanding of new measures available to the council to tackle ASB. The review will also seek to understand how to balance enforcement and support, how the new powers are being used and whether they have improved responses to reports of ASB and whether Councillors, MPs and Assembly Members, are aware of these measures and whether they are being satisfactorily used to tackle ASB.
On 24 November 2015 we hosted a debate with leading social policy experts Bill Kerry and Graeme Cooke, and Alison Garnham, to discuss the impact of inequality in Hackney on employment, poverty and community cohesion. The aim of this event was to enable the Council to host a borough wide dialogue with all Councillors, local stakeholders and residents about inequalities and how to harness the positive effects of regeneration.
- Tackling inequalities debate speaker biographies (PDF, 319KB)
- Tackling inequalities debate - Bill Kerry presentation (Equality Trust) (PDF, 220KB)
- Tackling inequalities debate - Alison Garnham presentation (CPAG) (PDF, 1.1MB)
Introduction and context setting
About the commission
This commission considers issues relating to crime, community safety, economic regeneration and social inclusion. The commission also has statutory powers to oversee the Safer Cleaner Partnership Board of Team Hackney).
You can view the commission's full work programme for the year on the agenda for each its meetings.
Commission details: membership, meetings, and contacts.
In the last year the commission carried out its statutory role of scrutinising the community safety partnership by looking at these issues:
- Update on Business Support and Advice - March 2014
- Update on the implementation of the local policing model - February 14
- Update on the use of Tasers - Dec 13
- Update on Noise and Anti Social Behaviour Service - September 2013 and November 2013
- Update on Community Safety Plan and Partnership working - November 2013
- Update on Domestic Violence Service Structure and Serious Case reviews - November 2013
- Update on the Identification of Gypsy and Traveller Sites - October 2013
- We hear quarterly updates on the Impact of Welfare Reform and Housing Benefit
- We hear quarterly reviews of the MET Police Stop and Search monitoring reports for Hackney
Page updated: 12 Oct 2015