Governance and resources scrutiny commission
The commission decided to take a step back from smaller targeted reviews of particular issues, to take a longer view and look more broadly at how effectively the Hackney pound was being spent locally. The review set out to explore the barriers to what has become known as 'whole place' thinking. This review intended to help the Council deal with two fundamental challenges: first, big cuts in public expenditure and second, more complex social challenges that require a very different approach from the Council, other public agencies and the wider community.
About the commission
The commission's remit is largely internal, focusing on services such as finance, ICT, human resources, and legal services. Evidence is often sought from other boroughs to help us examine how effectively the council is run, and ensure that the public is getting value for money from services.
View the commission's full work programme for the year on the agenda for each meeting of the commission.
Commission details: membership, meetings, and contacts
The commission also devotes a substantial amount of time each year to scrutinising the budget process. This includes examining savings proposals that come forward, monitoring financial forecasts, and holding the council to account for delivering its agreed budget and savings.
Some recent examples include:
- monitoring major financial changes affecting the council in June 2012, covering: schools funding, council tax support grant, and local retention of business rates
- the council's capital programme in July 2012 and December 2012
- draft savings proposals for 2013/14 in September 2012
- the effect of delivering savings agreed to date in October 2012
- a proposed new council tax support scheme in November 2012
- provisional Local Government Finance Settlement for 2013/14, January 2013
- Hackney's draft schedule of fees and charges, February 2013
- monitoring the council's preparation for the introduction of welfare reform, February 2013
- monitoring the council's medium-term planning forecast and overall financial position on a regular basis
Page updated: 9 Feb 2016