Introduction to Hackney Choice
What is Choice Based Lettings (CBL)?
CBL is the way the Council lets its homes and is called Hackney Choice.
It affects everyone on the housing waiting and transfer list. Those on the housing waiting/transfer list can choose which property they would like to live in.
Hackney Choice advertises available homes for rent from the Council and Registered Social Landlords.
- You get to see the properties available
- You choose the property you want to live in
- You have a better idea about waiting times
- No penalties for the first year
- A clearer picture of how the system works
Who can use Hackney Choice?
Only those on Hackney Council's housing waiting and transfer list.
These properties are advertised from Friday morning to Monday night on East London Lettings Company.
You can apply for up to two properties a week.
There are five methods of bidding:
- 24-hour multi-lingual phone line
- in person at a Council housing office
- sending a text message
- on East London Lettings Company
- a touch screen kiosk
The highest bidder will be determined by their eligibility, priority and date order.
The five priority bands are:
Is the system fair?
Yes, the system is based on priority and need.
Page updated: 28 Jan 2016