The service is for applicants intending to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.
It ensures that:
- applications for British nationality are correctly completed in line with Home Office UK visas and immigration guidelines
- all supporting documentation is checked, copied and certified (completed applications are forwarded to the Home Office by registered post)
Using the service can reduce delays and enable you to retain valuable documents such as passports and the majority of other important documentation.
It is not however, a fast track service. We will not act as agents for the applicant and are unable to offer advice on nationality, visas, immigration or asylum.
We also offer a joint nationality and passport checking service for nationality checking service applicants who wish to apply for a British passport at the same time.
Appointments are offered on selected Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I apply for British nationality and make an appointment with the service?
- What documentation is required during the appointment?
- What happens during the appointment?
- What happens after the appointment?
- Where can I get advice about nationality?
- If I use the service will my application be successful?
- Does using the nationality checking service help me to jump the queue?
- Do I have to use the nationality checking service?
- Why do I have to pay for the nationality checking service?
- How do I make a complaint about the nationality checking service provided by the Hackney Register Office?
- Where is my nearest Knowledge of Life in the UK test centre?
- application forms and guidance are available from the Home Office or by contacting the UK Visas and Immigration Nationality Contact Centre on 0300 123 2253
- complete the application form and prepare all supporting documents required to accompany the application
- to book an appointment, please call 020 8356 4004. A non-refundable appointment fee is required at the time of booking to secure your appointment
- all applicants over the age of 18, who are named on the application form are required to attend the same appointment
- the nationality checking Service is at Hackney Service centre, 1 Hillman Street, E8 1DY
- appointments are offered during office hours, Monday to Friday
- a correctly and fully completed application form.
- all original documentation to support the application as specified on the application form and guidance notes. Photocopied documentation is not permitted.
- the correct Home Office fee.
Please read the application guidance notes before you apply to ensure you meet the legal requirements and fulfil the criteria to become a British citizen.
If you are require further clarification to support each application you should contact the UK Visas and Immigration Nationality contact centre on 0300 123 2253 in advance of your appointment.
- a registered nationality checking service officer will check each fully completed application form for completeness and accuracy
- original supporting documentation will be verified, certified and returned to you
- the correct Home Office fee will be included in each application
- the application form, certified copies of documents will be sent by special delivery to the Home Office
If an application and supporting documentation are incomplete, incorrect or insufficient, all documentation will be returned to the applicant during the appointment. Should you wish to book another appointment you will have to pay the non refundable appointment fee for the additional appointment.
- applications sent to the Home Office are assessed by an allocated caseworker. The time taken for the Home Office to assess each application varies according to individual circumstances and other factors, including the number of applications under consideration at a particular time
- if the Home Office approves your application for British citizenship they will write to you to confirm this and provide citizenship ceremony literature and booking information
- if you require British citizenship or right to abode advice and application forms you are advised to contact the UK Visas and Immigration Nationality contact centre on 0300 123 2253
- if you require immigration, via or asylum advice you should contact the Immigration and Nationality Enquiries Bureau helpdesk on 0300 123 2253. You can also visit the nationality checking service for more information
Using the nationality checking service cannot guarantee that you application will be successful. The service will check that the application is completed correctly, but the consideration of the application is done by trained Home Office nationality caseworkers.
No, but using the service increases the likelihood of making an application that can be completed without requests for further evidence from the applicant.
No, the service is optional. You may continue to apply directly to the Home Office Nationality Group.
We charge an administrative fee to cover the cost of providing the service. This is in addition to the normal fee payable to the Home Office for processing an application for citizenship.
How do I make a complaint about the nationality checking service provided by the Hackney Register Office?
The nationality checking service at the Hackney Register Office is registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, an independent body established by Parliament to regulate organisations offering services of the kid on offer. Any complaints relating to the local authority service should be directed to the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC), 5th Floor, 21 Bloomsbury Street London WC1B 3HF, tel 0845 000 0046.
To locate your nearest Knowledge of Life in the UK test centre please contact the Knowledge of Life in the UK test helpline on 0800 015 4245. Alternatively, Gov.uk's life in the UK test offers a postal search.
The joint nationality and passport checking service is an optional service for nationality checking service applicants who are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen and wish to apply for a British passport at the same time.
To book an appointment, please call 020 8356 4004.
During the appointment we will check your passport application form for completeness and accuracy and then send it by registered post.
If you have successfully applied for naturalisation through the nationality checking service and also used the the passport checking service when you applied, you will receive your passport after you attend your citizenship ceremony.
Passport appointment fee
A fee of £10.00 is payable at the start of the appointment. This is in addition to the passport application fee processed by the Passport Office on receipt of an application.
Passport application fees
- standard adult passport (32 pages) - £72.50
- jumbo adult passport (48 pages) - £85.50
- child passport - £46
For a passport application an adult is someone aged 15 years and 6 months+ and is required to attend the passport checking appointment.
The photographs for the nationality application (1) and passport application (2) must be identical and comply with photo application requirements.
The referees of the nationality application form and the passport application form are required to be the same person in line with referee guidelines.