Sex establishments must be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, as amended by the Policing and Crime Act 2009.
The Council is responsible for licensing 'sex establishments' such as:
- sexual entertainment venues
- sex cinemas
- sex shops
Our sex establishment licensing policy sets out the principles to be applied when determining applications of this nature.
Apply for a licence
- must be at least 18 years old
- must not be disqualified from holding a sex establishment licence
- must have been resident of an UK at least 6 months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
- must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal
To make a new application you must submit a completed application form, a plan of the premises and the correct fee.
Sexual entertainment venue
- sexual entertainment venue application form [doc, 865.5Kb]
- sexual entertainment venue guidance notes [doc, 812Kb]
Renew a licence
To continue operating as a sex establishment, you must make the renewal application prior to the existing licence expiring. You are required to post a notice on site and advertise in the newspaper notices. You will also need to send a copy of your application to the Hackney Police. To make an application you must submit a completed application form (available above) and the correct fee.
- sexual entertainment venue renewal form [doc, 865.5Kb]
- sex cinema renewal form [doc, 1.53Mb]
- sex shop renewal form [doc, 894.5Kb]
- sex establishment site notice [doc, 52.5Kb]
- sex establishment newspaper advert [doc, 53Kb]
Vary a licence
A premises licence holder may apply to the licensing authority to vary the licence. Variations could include the opening times of the premises, or even changes to the physical shape of the premises covered by the licence. More probably, it will relate to the licensable activities of the licence or conditions attached to the licence. To make an application you must submit a completed application form (available above), a plan of the premises if appropriate and the correct fee.
- sexual entertainment venue variation form [doc, 865.5Kb]
- sex cinema variation form [doc, 1.53Mb]
- sex shop variation form [doc, 894.5Kb]
Transfer a licence
An individual or business can take over an existing sex establishment licence from the current premises licence holder by applying for a transfer of the licence. A transfer only changes the identity of the holder of the licence and does not alter the licence in any other way. If the licensee wants to vary any of the licensing activities or conditions it will be necessary to apply for a variation of sex establishment licence.
To apply for a transfer you will need to send to the Council a completed transfer application form, a consent letter from the current licence holder or a statement as to why it is not included, a copy of the current premises licence or a statement as to why it is not included and the the correct fee.
- sexual entertainment venue transfer form [doc, 931Kb]
- sex cinema transfer form [doc, 930Kb]
- sex shop transfer form [doc, 930Kb]
You are required to post a notice on site and advertise in the newspaper notices. You will also need to send a copy of your application to the Hackney police.