At Hackney, we go that extra mile for our people. We offer a wide selection of work-life benefits, financial benefits and development and learning programmes. Some of the benefits of working for the Council include:
- 27 days annual leave as standard and an extra 5 days after 5 years of service
- local government pension scheme
- flexi leave
- flexible working
- childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
- discounted gym membership
- season ticket loan
- welfare loans
- on the job training
- financial support for appropriate professional qualifications
For more information about our pension scheme, see Xafinity Paymaster our pensions' administrator.
All jobs are available with flexible working options unless otherwise stated. For the right candidate, we're always open to a conversation about flexible working.
Lesbian, gay and bisexual staff
We are part of Stonewall's diversity champion programme, which aims to promote the rights of LGB people in the workplace and in service provision.
Stonewall's annual workplace equality index showcases Britain's top employers for lesbian, gay and bisexual staff. In 2014 we were ranked 66th in the top 100 organisations.
Out and About, our staff forum for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, helps people share their concerns, promote best practice, support each other and raise awareness.
Two Ticks disability award
We are committed to creating an environment which encourages disabled people to seek and maintain employment with us.
The Council has been awarded the Positive about Disability Two Ticks symbol. Jobcentre Plus runs the scheme on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions.
The accreditation is awarded to employers who can demonstrate that they meet 5 commitments relating to the employment of disabled people.
These are to:
- interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- ensure a mechanism is in place to discuss, at any time, but at least once a year, with disabled employees what can be done to ensure that they can develop and use their full abilities
- make every effort to ensure that when employees become disabled, they stay in employment
- take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work
- conduct an annual review on what has been achieved and plan ways to improve on them.
The Positive about Disability Two Ticks symbol is one of the employment priorities in the action plan for our disability equality scheme.