Tell us what you think about our site...

Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used to authorise relatively small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises, involving no more than 499 people at any one time. If you propose to have more than 499 persons, or have already had the maximum number of TENs this year, you will need to apply for a premises licence. 

Each event covered by a TEN can last up to 168 hours, and no more than twelve TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises in any calendar year, subject to a maximum of 21 days per year. In addition, there must be a minimum of 24 hours between events notified by a premises user or associates of that premises user, in respect of the same premises. 

Licensable activities will then normally be permitted to anyone aged 18 or over can give a maximum of five TENs per calendar year. Personal licence holders can give a maximum of fifty TENs per calendar year. A user not holding a personal licence is limited to five events where there is supply of alcohol. The "premises user" must give the TEN.

Eligibility criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given. The notice must be in a specific format and can only be made by persons aged 18 or over. 

Regulation summary

For more information about the legislation, please visit:

Submit a TEN

Submit a TEN


Submission review process

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) at least ten working days before the event. A fee of £21.00 is payable with the notice. 

The premises user must also give copies of the notice to the following no later than ten working days before the event period: 

The Chief Officer of Police  

Hackney Licensing Unit
Stoke Newington Police Station
33 Stoke Newington High Street
London N16 8DS
Tel: 020 7275 3022

Pollution Control
PO Box 70210
E8 9FB

Tel: 020 8356 4455

If either the Police or Pollution Control believes that the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user.  

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

Late TENs 

It is possible to give a 'late TEN' up to five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event is due to commence. A personal licence holder can give 10 late TENs in a calendar year. Whilst a person who doesn't hold a personal licence can only give two late TENs in a calendar year. 

If there is an objection from either the police or Pollution Control, the event will not go ahead. In these circumstances there is no scope for a hearing. 

Will Tacit consent apply?

Once the Police and Pollution Control are in receipt of your valid TEN, they have three working days for which they are entitled to make an objection in respect of your notice.

Failed submission redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. 

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the premises user may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK visit - consumer rights. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade associations

Back to top

Page updated: 19 Jun 2014 

Share this page

Share |

Contact details

Licensing and Trading Standards
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY
Opening Times
Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (Reception opening hours);
Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (Phone calls)
Tel:020 8356 2431
Fax:020 8356 4974