A travel plan is a long-term management strategy to assist in managing the transport needs of a site through a package of measures.
How do you get to work?
Tell us and be in for a chance to win £100 and grants for your workplace. Your feedback will let us know what we are doing well and how we can improve.
Closing date 30 September 2015.
To help improve your commute we would like to understand how you currently travel, what would encourage you to think about walking, cycling or using public transport and what would improve your existing journey.
To apply for a sustainable transport grant, forward the survey to your colleagues and your workplace could apply for up to £2,000 to help reduce emissions and encourage sustainable transport initiatives. Previous grants have included: electric vehicle charging points, pool bikes, cycle parking, cycle maintenance and transport maps.
Travel plans for new developments
A travel plans is required in many new developments when planning permission is granted, to encourage sustainable transport.
School travel plans
A school travel plan (STP) sets out a number of practical ways to reduce the number of car trips made to a school, encourage walking and cycling and to improve safety on the school journey.
Workplace travel plans
We can help you set up a 'workplace travel plan' - a business management tool that develops and promotes sustainable travel options.
A plan can improve your organisation's efficiency and productivity by giving your staff wider travel options such as:
- car sharing and car clubs
- public transport
- cycling and walking
- reducing the need to travel through home and flexible working
We can also identify sources of funding and provide advice, information and support, tailored to your strategic business needs.
- cost savings for your business. Effectively managing your organisation's journeys will reduce costs associated with business travel (like staff expenses, car park charges, congestion charging and fleet management costs)
- a more attractive employer. Providing and encouraging travel options will help you improve staff retention, productivity and recruitment
- achieving carbon reduction will enhance your organisation's environmental credentials
- a healthier, more productive workplace. Promoting active travel options such as walking and cycling will improve the motivation, health and fitness and productivity of your employees, reducing sickness absence Read TfL's evidence review into the health impacts of workplace travel plans
- more travel options for your business. This will enhance your business prospects by giving employees, visitors and customers more ways of reaching you. It will also help alleviate car parking pressures at your site
- be an employer of choice. Your commitment to corporate social responsibility will enhance your reputation with staff, key stakeholders and your local community
What support is available?
We can provide tailored guidance and support to your business. This includes various funding opportunities and resources designed to help with the travel planning process.
Workplace travel plan - sustainable transport grant
We can provide grants of up to £2,000 for you to implement a measure identified within your travel plan, such as pool bikes, shower facilities, cycle parking provisions, mapping, competition prizes.
We will provide guidance through each stage of development and implementation of a plan and work with you using site-specific surveys and audit tools to gather data on your organisation's current travel patterns and needs.
Zero Emission Network
ZEN Shoreditch is a network of local businesses working together to improve air quality. It offers tailored advice, free trials of electric vehicles and cargo bikes, energy consultation and supply chain solutions.
Businesses that take part will help the local environment, boost their green credentials, comply with the latest environmental legislation and set themselves apart from their competitors with forward-thinking sustainable business practice.
We would like businesses to:
- use zero/low emission vehicles for deliveries and business travel
- encourage staff and visitors to walk, cycle or use public transport
- ensure premises are run in an energy efficient manner
- choose green energy suppliers
- dispose of waste in a sustainable way
- build sustainability into company policy
TfL cycling workplaces scheme
TfL's scheme groups together a number of initiatives to promote cycling to your employees. Workplaces with over 5 people are eligible to apply. Find out if your workplace is eligible.
Funding credits available per business site range from £250 to £10,000 depending on the number of employees at the site. Credits can be spent on cycle lessons, cycle parking and / or safety equipment. Visit the cycling workplaces shop to see the full range available and each item's equivalent cost in credits.
The cycling workplaces scheme is free to access. The only cost to your organisation will be that of installing any cycle parking you exchange your credits for and any staff time spent progressing through the scheme.
Free cycle stands for employers
Is your workplace based in London? Does it employ more than five people? If yes, then you can apply for free cycle parking.
For more details about workplace travel funds and to get started please email firstname.lastname@example.org.