Adult social care complaints

We provide a wide range of services for people and carers but sometimes things can go wrong. Please tell us if you are unhappy with our service, the way you have been treated or with a particular member of staff. We'll decide with you on the best way to resolve your complaint. If another organisation is involved such as the Health Service or a care provider we will work together with them to resolve your complaint.   

How to make a complaint

  • talk to your care manager or their manager
  • alternatively, contact our complaints line 

By phone

Please call 020 8356 1702 (Mon - Fri, 9am-5pm). 

By post

Please write to Adult Social Care Complaints, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street E8 1DY 

By email

Please email


You can also complete the Council's complaints form. From the dropdown, select ASC. 

What happens when we receive your complaint?

Resolution stage

  • when you raise an issue we will check to see if we will handle it as a complaint
  • we will acknowledge that we have received your complaint, by email, post or phone
  • we will assess how long it will take to resolve your complaint - on average 15 working days, but if we have to contact other agencies this may take longer
  • a senior officer from the service will oversee the investigation and they will focus on resolving the issue(s) you have raised
  • we will contact you to inform you of the outcome of the investigation and the action taken to resolve your complaint

What happens if I am not satisfied with the response?

Review stage 

If you are not satisfied with the response you received at the resolution stage, you can request an independent review which will be carried out by an independent officer. We aim to respond within an average of 20 working days but we will let you know if it will be longer.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the response at the review stage?

If you're still not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you can refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) for further investigation. You will usually need to complete both stages of the complaints process before the LGO can help.

Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 OEH. For the LGO advice team please telephone: 0300 061 0614 (Mon-Fri, 8.30am-5pm).

If the complaint relates to tenant or landlord functions, you can refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman Service for further investigation.


If you would like to record a compliment, please visit feedback and complete the make a comment or suggestion form. Under type of feedback select 'compliment' from the drop down. You can also email

Homecare complaints  

If you get help or care at home funded by the Council you can tel 0800 0731 317 to report:

  • missed care worker visits or continuous lateness
  • care workers not staying for the agreed time
  • not being treated with dignity or respect
  • any other concerns about the quality of the care you receive

Calls will be dealt with in confidence and staff will not pass your name to your provider without your consent. Phone line staff will raise your concerns with the agency and ask them to address any problems.

The phone line is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Voicemail will operate out of hours. Calls are free. Please note this number is only for complaints about homecare services.  

Page updated: 25/06/2018 11:36:07