Carers' direct payments help eligible carers maintain their own health and wellbeing while carrying on in their role as a carer. If you're undertaking an assessment or review, please note that the request for a carers direct payment must be linked to the carer's needs and the ability to sustain their caring role.
Who can request a carer's direct payment?
- a carer aged 18 and over
- carers who provide or intend to provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis for another individual aged 18 or over;
- the person that the carer is caring for is receiving or is eligible to receive community care services
What can I use them for?
You can put carers' direct payments towards things like:
- a short break
- a washing machine if you wash cared-for person's clothes
- massage or reflexology treatments
- driving lessons - your care manager will discuss with you whether you have access to a vehicle and can afford to pay the tax, insurance and petrol costs
For further information regarding the carers direct payment scheme please contact us.
- more information on direct payments