We are delighted to announce the programme for the 2018 Design Awards. The awards celebrate great design in architecture, urban design and landscape architecture in Hackney.
Everyone is encouraged to nominate any project they feel represents good quality design and sustainable development in Hackney.
How to enter
Complete the Design Awards e-form:
Please note up to 5 images can be sent with the e-form and each of these must be less than 1MB per image. If you experience problems with the e-form, you can email nominations to email@example.com.
Print, complete and post a nomination form [pdf, 411.32Kb] and post to:
Hackney Design Awards 2018, Planning and Regulatory Services, Conservation Urban Design and Sustainability Team, 3rd Floor, 2 Hillman Street, London, E8 1FB.
The closing date for nominations is 5pm Monday 16 July 2018.
What can be nominated?
The nomination must:
- be in the borough of Hackney
- have been completed after the 1 August 2016 and be fully functioning by the closing date of nominations of 16 July 2018
Entries for the following types of public or private development are encouraged:
- new buildings - residential, commercial, community, educational, infrastructure or industrial
- alterations to existing buildings - including extension, refurbishment, conversion or restoration; and
- parks, gardens, pedestrian or play / recreational areas that include structural design elements
What needs to be considered when making a nomination?
The Design Awards receive a varied range of nominations from large-scale housing development to school play areas and fountains. Based on this diversity, we encourage all types of entries and do not want to limit the scope of the awards to a set of rigid assessment criteria.
We would ask that you to consider the following aspects when considering making a nomination.
The nomination demonstrates:
- quality - it is of the highest quality in terms of its design, materials used or construction, and is an exemplar for its end use
- visual amenity - makes a positive visual contribution to its location
- innovation - is an original response to design, construction or environmental constraints, or uses pioneering building materials or techniques
- sustainability - incorporates design, construction, infrastructure, management, landscape, natural or other mechanisms / processes that embrace the principles of sustainability
What happens after you make a nomination?
- we will contact you to confirm receipt of the nomination
- we will log the details of the nomination and undertake further investigation to collate as much information as possible to assist with the judging process
- the client, the architect and the contractor, who are generally the awards recipients, will be notified of the nomination and, if shortlisted, notified accordingly
- the judging panel will undertake site visits of each of the shortlisted sites, meet with representatives of the development and determine the winners
Design Awards programme for 2018
Nominations open Monday 4 June.
Nominations close 5pm Monday 16 July.
Shortlisting of nominations by judging panel.
Judging panel site visits and adjudicates.
People's Choice Award voting opens.
People's Choice Award 2018
This is your chance to judge and vote for your favourite from the shortlisted entries.
Based on your votes, the winner of the People's Choice Award will be announced at the awards ceremony on the evening in late 2018.
"Hackney Council actively support and endorse high quality Architecture and Urban design and as a previous recipient of a Hackney Design award we were delighted that our project at Barretts Grove was recognised alongside an eclectic mix high quality design amd award winning projects." Amin Taha, Groupwork + Amin Taha
- Hackney Design Awards 2016 brochure [pdf, 1.61Mb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2014 brochure [pdf, 2.27Mb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2012 brochure [pdf, 5.36Mb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2010 brochure [pdf, 1.47Mb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2008 brochure [pdf, 526.11Kb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2006 brochure [pdf, 2.11Mb]
- Hackney Design Awards 2004 [pdf, 248.72Kb]
If you require further information or a copy of the nominations pack, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.