Our blue bin service makes it easy to recycle food waste in Hackney.
We provide free compostable liners to make it easier to put your food waste out for collection without making a mess. Please do not use plastic bags.
Enter your postcode to check your collection day:
How to recycle your food waste
I live on a street level property
- Place your small blue bin in your kitchen, and line it with a compostable liner
- When the liner is full, tie the ends and put it in your large blue bin outside
- Your food waste will be collected weekly from 7am on your collection day
I live in a block or estate with communal recycling bins
- Place the blue caddy in your kitchen, and line it with a compostable liner
- Collect all your food waste in the caddy
- When the caddy is full, tie the ends of the compostable liner together
- Take it down to the food waste container next to your recycling bins
What can I recycle?
You can recycle all raw and cooked food waste
- vegetables and peelings
- fish and fish bones
- fruit cores and skins
- bread, rice, pasta
- meat (raw or cooked)
- teabags, coffee granules
- egg shells
- plate scrapings
What Can't I recycle in my blue bin?
Any non-food items, including:
- garden waste
- plastic bags