Freedom passes

Older persons freedom pass

If you're a Hackney resident over 62-and-a-half years old, you can travel for free on buses, trains and other forms of public transport in London - as well as on some national services. For more information see freedom pass eligibility.

If you're a resident over 60, you can apply to your local post office for a 60+ Oyster card.

Apply for an older persons freedom pass

Apply now

You can also collect an application form in person from Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, E8 1DY. If you have any questions about the application process please call London Councils on 0300 330 1433.

Disabled persons freedom pass

You can apply for a freedom pass if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • are disabled, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability that is defined as a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have your application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

You may be asked to attend a mobility assessment, or provide evidence that you are entitled. See disabled persons freedom pass for more information.

Apply for a disabled persons freedom pass

Print and complete the application for disabled person's freedom pass [pdf, 293.89Kb] and return it to The Mobility Unit, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London E8 1DY.

Lost, stolen or damaged freedom passes

There is a £10 charge to replace lost, faulty or damaged freedom passes.

Faulty passes

If your pass is faulty, the charge will be refunded if on return to London Councils, the tests show the pass does not work. 

Stolen passes

If your freedom pass has been stolen you will need to send a recent proof of address, contact telephone number and a letter confirming the details and circumstances regarding the incident and crime reference number if you have one, to: Information and Assessment, Hackney Council, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street E8 1DY.

If you have a crime reference number there will be no replacement charge. Without a crime reference number, the pass will be considered lost and the £10 replacement fee will apply.

Request and pay for a replacement pass

Request and pay for a replacement pass

You can also contact London Councils by telephone, email or letter. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to London Councils.

Telephone: 0300 330 1433


Post: Freedom Pass Replacements, PO Box 6618, Arbroath, DD11 9AT 

Page updated: 01/03/2017 10:51:22