Updates and cancellations
- Moving and Toning new time - 10-11am Fridays, Frampton Park Community Hall
- Capoeira, 4.30-5.30pm, Thursdays at Nye Bevan has been cancelled
These classes will be at Frampton Park this week and will then be moving to the newly refurbished centre Gascoyne 2:
- Zumba with Sabina, Monday, 7-8pm (£2)
- Circuit Mania with Hezron, Wednesday, 7-8pm (£2)
- Moving and Juicing with Michelle, Friday 10-11.30am (fitness and smoothie makings - £2.50 including smoothie)
If you'd like to improve your diet, be more active or take up a new hobby, Healthy Hackney can help you.
- Fitness classes - from One You
- Find a class with the new OpenPlay app
- Free cook and eat courses - from One You
- Free community meals - from One You
- Community Connections
- Clapton Green Gym
- Health Heroes primary school grants programme
- Health, exercise and nutrition for the really young (HENRY)
- Social prescribing service
- Get Hackney Healthy
- Chair Based Exercise (50+) with Susanne, Fridays, 11am-12 noon, Amhurst Rd Community Centre E8
- Candle Lit Yoga Flow (beginners) with Laila - 7.45-8.45pm, Wednesdays Core Clapton E5
- Chair Based Exercise (50yrs+) with Susanne - Tuesdays, 2-3pm, Trowbridge Senior Citizens Club E9
- Sista-Fit with Kelly (women only) - Mondays, 9.45-10.45am, Ishan Centre N16
- Soca Aerobics with Amy - Mondays, 6.30-7.30pm, Fellows Court Community Centre N1
- Oriental Dance with Victoria (women only) - Wednesdays, 1-2pm, Turkish Cypriot, Cultural Centre E8
- Zumba with Zoraima - Wednesdays, 7-8pm, Kings Crescent Estate Community Centre N4
- Pilates with Zoraima - Wednesdays, 8-9pm, Kings Crescent Estate Community Centre N4
- Fit and Strong with Claudia - Fridays, 9.30-10.30am, Geffrye Estate Community Centre N1
Our One You community fitness classes take place in community venues across the borough. They're just £2 and are aimed at residents and people who work in Hackney, from children to older adults.
They run alongside the national Public Health England One You campaign to encourage residents to get fitter, eat healthier and feel better and they're open to all Hackney residents. With over 60 classes per week on 26 estates in Hackney there's something for everyone from Box Fit to Zumba, kids' karate to family street dance.
You can find and book your class on the new OpenPlay app or register at the centre.
Regular physical activity can reduce your risk of breast cancer by up to 20%, dementia, depression and colon cancer by up to 30%, cardiovascular disease by up to 35%, type 2 diabetes by up to 40% and hip fractures by up to 68% - Public Health England.
Hear from resident Dessy about what motivated her to take part in the programme:
Live or work in Hackney? Find and book a £2 fitness class at your local community centre with the new OpenPlay app for Android, OpenPlay app for Apple or visit OpenPlay. Please pay your £2 at the venue - the app does not take payments.
Want to eat well but feel limited by budget, inspiration or cooking skills? Our fun and supportive One You classes can help inspire you to cook affordable, nutritious food for you or your family. Taking place over 6 weeks the courses cover a range of techniques and recipes. The sessions are aimed at adults and families and end with a sit down meal you prepare. Courses are free and booking is essential.
They're delivered by local providers including Made in Hackney and Shoreditch Trust. To book your place on a free course contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8442 4266 or email@example.com, 020 7033 8529.
Free community meals
Weekly One You food surplus community lunches and dinners that are open to residents. Come along for a delicious freshly cooked meal from food that's been donated rather than wasted. You can also volunteer to help prepare or help set up the meals:
- New Kingshold Estate Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road, E9 7JE, Thursdays, 12.45pm - community lunch from FoodCycle; for more information on meals or volunteering opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02077292775
- Redmond Centre, Fridays 6pm - community meals with Red Moon Roots, Weekly free surplus food community meals; contact email@example.com for more information
Community Connections is a Shoreditch Trust project that can support you to access activities and groups in the community to improve your wellbeing and social connections.
You can meet a community coordinator one-to-one to talk about your priorities and they can support you to address them.
You might be interested in reconnecting with or meeting new people, discovering local places, learning a new skill or improving your wellbeing.
We have an extended pathway for people who are 50+, who are experiencing social isolation. We provide long term support to increase social connections.
To find out more please contact:
- New Kingshold Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road (off Well Street), London E9 7JE - Jo Evans, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07584 597 885 or Teresa Buckland, email@example.com
- Shoreditch Trust Healthy Living Centre, 170 Pitfield Street, London N1 6JP - Teresa Buckland, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07584 598 086
- Stamford Hill Community Centre, Stamford Hill, London N16 6RZ - Jo Williams, email@example.com or 07584 604 242
Fridays, 10.45am-2pm - meet outside Nye Bevan Lower Community Hall, Overbury Street, E5 0AW
Now a constituted community group, Clapton Green Gym (formerly Hackney Green Gym) meet every Friday. The group works across Millfields Parks and The Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve and Millfields Park.
Volunteering is free, simple and no experience is necessary. It is ideal for learning new practical skills such as gardening, construction, and conservation. For more information, or to join, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We have been piloting the Health Heroes project in several of the borough's primary schools since 2013/14 and have tested a number of interventions from food growing and gardening, to playground zoning and lunch-time sports activities.
We also launched a new grants programme, where schools can bid for match funding to run projects to help create healthy weight environments within schools by either increasing physical activity, or improving access to and/or knowledge of healthy food.
HENRY is a free 8-week healthy lifestyle and parenting programme for parents and carers with 0-5 year olds. Sessions run in venues across Hackney. For more information please tel: 07519 109 876, or email: email@example.com.
Improve your health and wellbeing with our social prescribing service, giving you access to activities, social groups, services and advice, based on your needs and interests. Make an appointment today and speak to a family action wellbeing co-ordinator who works at your local GP surgery in Hackney - ring Family Action on 0207 249 8109.
We've developed two documents as part of our cross-cutting Get Hackney Healthy work, which aims to promote healthy lifestyles for children and families.
The early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance helps early years settings create environments where children can maintain a healthy weight and provides information on our healthy living and obesity services and advice on how to evaluate any services you commission.
The Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 provides a vision for working in partnership to reduce childhood obesity and includes national and local data alongside information on healthy weight services available for under 5s across the system.
- early years settings and children's centre healthy weight guidance [pdf, 7.37MB]
- Hackney childhood obesity framework: 0-5 [pdf, 370.17KB]
Sign up to change4life for helpful information, recipes, tools, tips, and games for kids.