Because of the housing shortage in Hackney, we can't offer a house to everyone but, we can advise you about the alternatives. Everyone with a housing need will be offered a housing options interview, where we will explore a range of solutions.
If you are worried about becominghomeless, you can ask for help from the Council.
What housing advice we offer
We will advise you on housing options based on your circumstances. We offer:
- advice and help to people looking for a home
- advice on how to pay for it
- full housing option service covering:
- renting from the council
- renting from a housing association
- private renting
- low cost home ownership
- mobility options
- supported housing
- assistance with keeping your home
- personalised referrals to other sections if we cannot help you
The more information you give us, the quicker we can give you proper advice. Please let us see any useful documents as soon as you can. These can be:
- the first tenancy agreement your landlord gave you
- any letters from a landlord, friend or relative who wants you to leave
- proof of your income, including any benefits you are getting
- rent book or other record of rent paid
- proof of your previous and present addresses
Many people lose their homes, or right to be re-housed, because they wait too long before getting advice.
Apply for housing in Hackney
Find out about joining the housing register.
Submit a housing health assessment form
Complete the housing health assessment form if you or a member of your household has a health related issue and you want us to assess the impact of how your home affects your health, treatment and support needs.
Bidding for properties
To get you into a property faster and give you more control over where you live, we introduced a choice based lettings scheme, Hackney Choice. It allows you to bid for available properties, rather than wait to be allocated a home.