Everyone should have access to nutritious, delicious, affordable food. Sometimes you might find it difficult to prepare, cook or order your own meals.
This guide explains the different options available that can provide you with choice, flexibility and independence about what you eat, at home or in the community.
You can also download the guide below:
Care and support
If you, or someone you care for, needs help to prepare their meals, please call 020 8356 6262, or email email@example.com.
There are a number of companies that can deliver healthy, affordable ready-made meals and desserts (usually frozen) to your home.
Below is a list of companies offering a range of meals catering for different dietary needs (eg halal, kosher, vegan/vegetarian) and allergen-free food (eg no gluten, dairy, nuts).
Low fat, salt and sugar options are available, as well as low calorie food and pureed dishes.
You can order food online, request a brochure or call the companies for more information. To get a free delivery, most companies will want you to order at least one week's supply of meals and to spend over a certain amount.
- Oak House Foods - 0333 370 6700
- Wiltshire Farm Foods - 0800 077 3100
- Cook Food - 01732 759000
- Blue Mountain Foods (Caribbean and West Indian meals) - 01902 424133
You can buy freshly prepared meals or chilled or frozen meals online - which can be heated in a microwave or oven - and get them delivered to your home from most supermarkets.
There are 14 lunch clubs for people aged 55+ in Hackney, run by community organisations.
All offer very low cost meals and the opportunity to meet with other people. Lunch clubs also offer other activities including trips.
For more information, or if you wish to volunteer, contact any of the lunch clubs directly. Most clubs do not have transport but they can give you information on transport arrangements if needed.
There is also a free lunch club every Thursday at New Kingshold Estate Community Centre, Ainsworth Road, E9 7LP, which is run by volunteers. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An Viet 12-14 Englefield Road, N1 4LS, 020 7275 7780
- Chatsworth Methodist Church, 99 Chatsworth Road, E5 0LH, 020 8985 2230
- Hackney Caribbean Elders Organisation, 39 Leswin Road, N16 7NX, 020 7923 3536
- Hackney Chinese Community, 287-32 Ellingfort Road, E8 3PA, 020 8986 6171
- Hackney Cypriots Association, 5 Balls Pond Road, N1 4AX, 020 7249 4494
- Halkevi, 31-33 Dalston Lane, E8 3DF, 020 7249 6980
- Holly Street 331 Queensbridge Road, E8 3LA, 020 7923 1282
- Hotline Meals 12e Manor Road, N16 5SA, 020 8800 0414
- Lunch Up 347 - Woodberry Down, Redmond Community Centre, Kayani Ave, Woodberry Down, N4 2HF, 020 8802 7580
- Nightingale 19 Olympus Square, Nightingale Estate, E5 8PL, 020 8985 1309
- Salvation Army, Cambridge Heath, 70 Mare Street, E8 4RT, 020 8985 4410
- Salvation Army Hoxton, 66 New North Road, N1 6TG, 020 7739 3313
- VLC, 151 Whiston Road, E2 8BN, 020 7739 3650
Meals from local cafes and restaurants
Many cafes and restaurants in Hackney serve fresh food. Some local markets such as Ridley Road Market and Broadway Market also have food stalls that may deliver meals to your home.
Free cook and eat courses
There are free One You cook and eat classes in Hackney to help you learn how to cook on a budget, to inspire you and help you improve your cooking skills. These cover a range of techniques and recipes and usually run for 6 weeks.
NHS Eat Well provides information on health, nutrition, recipes and food tips.
One You provides information on healthy eating,