We operate a members' allowances scheme and each member receives a basic allowance. The scheme includes special responsibility allowances paid for particular duties. Travel, subsistence, dependent carers' and co-optees' allowances are paid for doing approved duties specified in the scheme.
- members' allowances scheme details [pdf, 202.74KB]
- notice of allowances for 2017-18 [pdf, 168.13KB]
- notice of allowances for 2016-17 [pdf, 330.0KB]
- notice of allowances for 2015-16 [pdf, 271.73KB]
- notice of allowances for 2014-15 [pdf, 273.01KB]
- notice of allowances for 2013-14 [pdf, 84.91KB]
- notice of allowances for 2012-13 [pdf, 147.68KB]
- notice of allowances for 2011-12 [pdf, 57.32KB]
- notice of allowances for 2010-11 [doc, 228.5KB]
A full breakdown of expenses can be found below. In addition to the expenses claimed through the members' allowances scheme, this includes additional approved expenses incurred by members when undertaking council business that fall outside the scope of the members' allowances scheme.
- members' expenses 2018/19 [pdf, 235.86KB]
- members' expenses 2017/18 [pdf, 206.57KB]
- members' expenses 2016/17 [pdf, 164.61KB]
- members' expenses 2015/16 [pdf, 98.21KB]
- members' expenses 2014/15 [pdf, 24.56KB]
- members' expenses 2013/14 [pdf, 28.93KB]
- members' expenses 2012/13 [pdf, 22.76KB]
- members' expenses 2011/12 [pdf, 25.83KB]
- members' expenses 2010/11 [pdf, 22.59KB]
- members' expenses 2009/10 [pdf, 28.56KB]
- members' expenses 2008/09 [pdf, 26.0KB]
Independent remuneration panel
The Council joined London Councils independent remuneration panel arrangements in January 2015. The Council will refer to the panel's report and recommendations when setting its members allowances scheme.
The Council agreed to engage Sir Rodney Brooke CBE DL to act as an independent adviser by making recommendations to Council on allowances based on London Councils' scheme. The report of the independent adviser which was considered by Council in July 2015.
Members of the Council are appointed to serve on outside body organisations annually by the cabinet. The positions are for a varied period of time and in some cases, members will receive remuneration from the outside body for the duties they undertake during their appointment.
In carrying out these roles, members act as both individuals and as representatives of the Council.
Declarations of interest
The code of conduct requires each member to declare certain interests. See the councillors' individual pages for more information.