Below you will find a list of the various ways you can pay your monthly bill. Payments are due on the first day of each month for people who have not arranged to pay by Direct Debit.
By law, everyone has the right to pay their council tax by monthly instalments unless that right has been lost. Find outwhat happens if you don't pay your council tax.
- read our guide to council tax 2018/19 [pdf, 542.41KB]
- please see our notice about council tax scams
By Direct Debit
Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay your council tax. You just pick a payment date that suits you (1st, 14th, 21st or 28th of the month) and your payment is automatically debited from your account each month.
You can pay your council tax using your debit or credit card by calling 020 8356 5050.
We accept payment from: Switch, Visa, Maestro, Visa Electron, Mastercard and Solo cards.
PayM is a simple, secure way to send and receive payments using your mobile banking app and Hackney's dedicated PayM mobile phone number.
To pay by PayM, just follow these three easy steps:
- Enable PayM on your mobile banking app. VisitPayM for more detailed instructions for your own bank and to check that they offer PayM
- Save the London Borough of Hackney's mobile payment number, 07535 844 354, to your mobile phone contacts
- Using your mobile banking app set up a PayM payment:
- select the account you want to debit
- choose the London Borough of Hackney from your contacts list
- enter the amount you want to pay
- enter you council tax reference number and submit the payment
When the payment has been made, you will receive a confirmation message on your mobile device.
In person at Hackney self-service payment centre
Pay by cash or debit / credit card at the Hackney self-service payment centre, 2 Hillman Street (behind Hackney Town Hall), which is open 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
We are able to accept payment from the following types of card: Switch, Visa, Maestro, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Solo.
During summer 2017, we asked people about their experience of using the new self-service payment centre. View the results of this survey.
You can send a cheque to the Hackney self-service centre, 2 Hillman Street, E8 1FB. You should write clearly your reference number on the reverse of the cheque. Please do not send cash through the post.
At a bank or post office
You can pay your council tax by cash or cheque at your bank or post office using the payment slips provided with your payment booklet.
If you are making payment at the post office or your own bank, there should be no charge for this facility. However, some banks may charge if you are making a payment at a bank other than your own.
Important: you must make sure that we receive your instalments on or before the dates shown on your bill. This means that you should allow:
- 6 extra days if you pay by cheque at the post office
- 3 extra working days if you pay by cash at the post office or through your bank
Even if we receive your payments later that same month, we may still send you reminders or final notices.
You can pay your council tax in person at any PayPoint outlet.