Register a food business

Anyone starting a business in Hackney that prepares, sells, stores or transports food must register with us within the 28-day period before the business opens. It is against the law not to register. 

If you are taking over an existing business, you need to register too.

How to register

Make sure you check all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all of the questions and give us all the information requested. Please only submit this form within 28 days of your new business trading. 

Register your food business

You can also complete the forms below and return a hard copy or email it to the address on the form:

We will confirm your registration when we receive your form.

Food hygiene inspection

Once registered, your business will need to have a food hygiene inspection by one of our food safety officers.

Who needs to register?

All businesses that prepare, sell, store or transport food need to register, including:

  • restaurants
  • hotels
  • cafes
  • shops
  • supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices or warehouses
  • delivery vehicles
  • market and other stalls
  • fast food or ice-cream vans

Vehicles and stalls

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately.

You must tell us where your van or trailer is normally kept within Hackney, on your registration form. This is particularly important if you have one or more vehicle, but no permanent premises from where you operate - like an ice-cream van or a hot dog van. 

If you use stalls or vans to prepare or sell food in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

What happens to the information?

We keep a register of addresses and types of business which is open to inspection by the general public. Records of personal or other information are not publicly available and will not be disclosed outside the Council, local government departments and government agencies.

Changes to a business

Once you have registered with us, you only need to tell us if:

  • there is a change of owner
  • the type of business changes
  • there is a change of the address at which movable premises (like burger vans or ice-cream vans) are kept

The new owner must complete an application form.

Page updated: 10/08/2017 14:40:18