The St Mark's conservation area is centred on the parish church of St Mark's, around which the streets of this speculative Victorian development were formally laid out and built up. The area was constructed to a planned scheme initiated by the ground landlords and the Tyson - Amhurst's between 1860 and 1870. Many of the large villas and houses are of architectural merit both in their overall design and their architectural detailing.
In order to preserve the features that give the conservation area its special character such as front garden walls, railings, door cases, original windows, decorative ridge tiles and the like, The Council has placed an Article 4 Direction in the St Mark's conservation area.
The Article 4 Direction was made on 7 July 2008 and was approved by the Secretary of State on 27 November 2008. This Article 4 Direction means that the following development will now require planning permission:
- the enlargement, improvement or other alteration of a dwelling house including changes to windows, front doors, railings and other metalwork, plasterwork, doorcases or the like
- the painting of the exterior of any building
- the erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure
- the enlargement of a dwelling house consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof including the alteration or removal of chimneys and chimney pots
- the erection or construction of a porch outside any external door of a dwelling house
- the provision within the curtilage of a dwelling house of a hard surface for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house as such
- the installation, alteration or replacement of a satellite antenna on a dwelling house or within the curtilage of a dwelling house
Please note, not all of the properties within St Mark's conservation area are affected by the Article 4 Direction. To confirm if your property is within the Article 4 boundary, please search the Article 4 Property database [pdf, 49.1Kb] .
The relevant documents are available to download below:
- St Marks conservation area appraisal part 1of2 [pdf, 2.16Mb]
- St Marks conservation area appraisal part 2of2 [pdf, 1.81Mb]
- St Marks conservation area notice of making [pdf, 40.55Kb]
- St Marks CA and Article 4 direction and boundary map [pdf, 992.25Kb]
- St Marks confirmed direction [pdf, 1.17Mb]
- St Marks notice of approval [doc, 32.5Kb]