At Hackney, we go that extra mile for our people. We offer a wide selection of work-life benefits, financial benefits and development and learning programmes. Some of the benefits of working for the Council include:
- 27 days annual leave as standard and an extra 5 days after 5 years of service
- local government pension scheme
- flexi leave
- flexible working
- season ticket loan
- childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
- discounted gym membership
- CSSC sports and leisure membership
- technology discounts
- local discounts, including local retailers (many from the Hackney Walk fashion hub), restaurants and fitness classes
- theatre and music tickets
- welfare loans
- on the job training
- financial support for appropriate professional qualifications
- tenancy deposit loan
- Vectis card
For more information about our pension scheme, see Xafinity Paymaster our pensions' administrator.
All jobs are available with flexible working options unless otherwise stated. For the right candidate, we're always open to a conversation about flexible working.
Lesbian, gay and bisexual staff
We are part of Stonewall's diversity champion programme, which aims to promote the rights of LGB people in the workplace and in service provision.
Stonewall's annual workplace equality index showcases Britain's top employers for lesbian, gay and bisexual staff. In 2014 we were ranked 66th in the top 100 organisations.
Out and About, our staff forum for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, helps people share their concerns, promote best practice, support each other and raise awareness.
A Disability Confident employer
We are committed to creating an environment which encourages disabled people to seek and maintain employment with us.
The Council is a Disability Confident employer. Jobcentre Plus runs the scheme on behalf of the Department for Work and pensions.
The accreditation is awarded to employers who can demonstrate their commitment to:
- getting the right people
- including a commitment to offering an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- keeping and developing our staff