Nominate your favourite Hackney sports people for the 2018 Hackney Sports Awards
Now in their thirteenth year, the Hackney Sports Awards recognise the achievements of the borough's sporting talent who have participated at local, county or national levels in various events over the past year.
If you'd like to nominate somebody for an award in 2018, the nomination form will be available to complete from May 2018.
Hackney's sports men and women were honoured at the Hackney Sports Awards 2017 on Tuesday 6 February at the Hackney Empire.
Comedian Kat B compered the night, with special guests - Hackney born Lawrence "The Sauce" Okolie, WBA Continental Cruiser Weight Champion, GB Olympic team boxing 2016, since turning Pro he is unbeaten in 8 fights; 6 knock outs.
The second of the guests was Karen Carney MBE, England and Chelsea Professional women's footballer, FA Cup winner in 2012 and bronze medallist in the World Cup in 2015.
An audience of 650 people enjoyed the awards and the Q & A with both Lawrence and Karen.
Along with the awards was the Youth Sports Fund Awards, and recognition of the London Youth Games medalists, of whom all individual medalists over the age of 11 received a year's free GLL membership to access Hackney Leisure Centres.
2017 award winners
- Outstanding Contribution to the London Youth Games: Pele Julien and Clara Ajiako
- Outstanding Team Contribution to the London Youth Games: Hackney Para teams
- Most Improved Team in the London Youth Games: Hackney Youth Games Girls Volleyball Team and Boys Athletics Team
- The London Youth Games Challenge Award: Stoke Newington School had the greatest participation in the London Youth Games 2017
- Under 18 Team of The Year: Hackney Youth Games Judo Team
- The Fit For Health winners: Maria Farr and Zeita Collins
- Inclusion Award, sponsored by GLL: Laburnum Sports Sessions for young people with Disabilities
- Club of the Year Award: Lea junior Rowing Club
- Coach of the Year: Paul Carter Lea Junior Rowing Club
- Under 16 Sports Person of the Year: Cameron Standell Walker - Judo
- Runners up: Paige Bailey Gayle - Football
- The Under 25 Sports Person of the Year: Emrah Mandurum - Judo
- Runner up: Noah Williams - Diving